PYGA OneTen29 - A beast is reborn

LazyTrailRider

So, after having been riding (and enjoying riding) a fairly "mass-market" Scott Scale since the beginning of 2013, I decided it was time for something special again.

The Scale's an amazing climber, and because of it's sub-70deg HA, it actually handles a bit of tech quite respectably, but I've been missing railing into berms flat out and then bouncing off the gnarly stuff on the way out. So, I grabbed the opportunity to buy a well-cared-for Pyga OneTen29 last week and proceeded to rebuild it with a mixture of new and used parts.

The spec list:

Frame: Pyga OneTen29 2012, serial number "Cliff",

Shock: Rockshox Monarch RT3

Fork: Mongrel Rockshox Relevation (2012 lowers, 2014 RCT3 upper assembly with FastBlack stanchions)

Wheelset: Novatec Flowtrail 29

Tyres: Rocket Ron 2.25 rear, Hans Dampf 2.35 front

Cranks: XX1 156q GXP

Derailleur: X9 type 2 short-cage

Shifter: X0 black

Brakes: XT 785

Rotors: XT RT76, 180mm front, 160mmm rear

Pedals: XT 785 Trail

Stem: FSA SL-K

Bar: Truvativ Noir T40

Seatpost: Easton EA70

Saddle: Fizik Tundra 2 Mg

The raw finish of the frame was looking a bit dull and scratched in places, so I took everything apart and applied some TLC with steel wool and a scourier sponge in places. Cliff from Pyga was very helpful in supplying a new decal kit, which pimped things out again afterwards.

I spent a few nights last week and some time over the weekend building stuff up (thanks to Marc at Crown Cycles for helping with a few bits and bobs during Argus mania). The end result since last night is this:

post-3655-0-86411400-1393829363_thumb.jpg

post-3655-0-76623900-1393829373_thumb.jpg

post-3655-0-71562200-1393829383_thumb.jpg

post-3655-0-21978800-1393829670_thumb.jpg

post-3655-0-17817300-1393829388_thumb.jpg

I have yet to ride it any further than the road in front of the house, so will report back as soon as the first ride is over.

So far, I've been mighty impressed with the build quality and overall feel of the beast. Hot damn!

Edited by Martin Hattingh

very nice......something about those pyga's that just look 'right'........if you know what I mean.

Hi

Noticed you only have the front brake operational, is this work in progress pics.

It looks like a beaut, hope you hv fun

Noticed you only have the front brake operational, is this work in progress pics.

Who needs a rear brake? ;)

One last bit to sort out, I need longer housing and will be sorting that out in the next day or two...

Edited by MH for short

A Beast is "Reborn". Nice one. Welcome to the club. Waiting for Cliff to let me know what is happening to my replacement frame. Minor issue which they are assisting in fixing.

Still think the brushed Alu frame looks the best.

Awesome build and bike....I love mine! Those bikes stand back for nothing and to be honest I think mine is just as capable, if not more so when hitting the rough stuff in Jonkershoek than my 150mm Heckler. Certainly a hell of a lot quicker down the trail.

Post it to the Pyga thread as well...things have been a bit dead there of late.

Rock and Roll man, Rock and Roll !!

This frame wasn't welded to the tunes of AC/DC like my last Intense was, but so far I like the sound more!

This frame wasn't welded to the tunes of AC/DC like my last Intense was, but so far I like the sound more!

PYGA boys must have tuned their welders better to the Tjunes then :P

Welcome... I can't understand how anyone would ever sell their Pyga!! Brushed is great, but I love my green. Have also come across a white one which also looks fantastic.

post-44068-0-69757000-1393962562_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

which year/Epic is that pic.

G

Welcome... I can't understand how anyone would ever sell their Pyga!! Brushed is great, but I love my green. Have also come across a white one which also looks fantastic.