Multigrade engine oil as chain lube?

cathmtb

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wurth makes good products.

Friend of mine use a spray of Wurth on the chains in his Forklift business.

But I will have to go and check if it is the Silicone one you mention.

Thanks. Would like to hear what he is using

Anyone used the Wurth pressure resistant silicone lube yet? Thoughts?

I know it is not cycling specific, but it seems to be working well

I use a very similar Wurth lube and it's too thin for bike chains, it's a highly adhesive liquid grease, can't see a silicone product being thick enough.

@ GoLefty.

You do know a lot about your oil and Lubricants.

I am humbled.

The Base oils and their ISO viscosity is a different ballgame for me.

Did not mean to offend. I am always wiling to learn more.

I was referring to the viscosity what hubbers will see while lavishing their chain with can of the best.

(shamelessly copied & pasted) (you will know this)

"The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has established a numerical code system for grading motor oils according to their viscosity characteristics. SAE viscosity gradings include the following, from low to high viscosity: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50 or 60. The numbers 0, 5, 10, 15 and 25 are suffixed with the letter W, designating they are "winter" (not "weight") or cold-start viscosity, at lower temperature.

Kinematic viscosity is graded by measuring the time it takes for a standard amount of oil to flow through a standard orifice, at standard temperatures. The longer it takes, the higher the viscosity and thus higher SAE code."

And that Kinematic Viscosity of

SAE 5W-30 at 40degC is about 64 cSt. And

SAE20W-50 at 40degC is about 166 cSt.

It takes a lot longer to get the 80W90 to drain into the oil pan (or seep into the chain links) than the 15W40.

Yellow Saddle swears by motor oil and I have used it ever since I went on the maintenance course. Been very happy with my Castrol. Made a good point: if its good enough for expensive cars and delicate motors it's good enough for my chain,

Anyone used the Wurth pressure resistant silicone lube yet? Thoughts?

I know it is not cycling specific, but it seems to be working well

Doesn't Wurth stand for flippen expensive?? :eek:

Yellow Saddle swears by motor oil and I have used it ever since I went on the maintenance course. Been very happy with my Castrol. Made a good point: if its good enough for expensive cars and delicate motors it's good enough for my chain,

Sounds just like ol JB....Geez...I miss the witty comments and endless knowledge!

"Suitable for: Hinges, bolts, locks, joints, pinions, bowden cables, sliding rails, rollers, drive trains etc."

Hmmmm...does it actually penetrate?

Sounds just like ol JB....Geez...I miss the witty comments and endless knowledge!

Nice guy and incredible course. So sad that he has moved on.

@ GoLefty.

You do know a lot about your oil and Lubricants.

I am humbled.

The Base oils and their ISO viscosity is a different ballgame for me.

Did not mean to offend. I am always wiling to learn more.

I was referring to the viscosity what hubbers will see while lavishing their chain with can of the best.

(shamelessly copied & pasted) (you will know this)

"The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has established a numerical code system for grading motor oils according to their viscosity characteristics. SAE viscosity gradings include the following, from low to high viscosity: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50 or 60. The numbers 0, 5, 10, 15 and 25 are suffixed with the letter W, designating they are "winter" (not "weight") or cold-start viscosity, at lower temperature.

Kinematic viscosity is graded by measuring the time it takes for a standard amount of oil to flow through a standard orifice, at standard temperatures. The longer it takes, the higher the viscosity and thus higher SAE code."

And that Kinematic Viscosity of

SAE 5W-30 at 40degC is about 64 cSt. And

SAE20W-50 at 40degC is about 166 cSt.

It takes a lot longer to get the 80W90 to drain into the oil pan (or seep into the chain links) than the 15W40.

well does the 80W 90 take longer to drain? This does not hold true for any of the oils I've blended because they did not contain high levels of tackifier.

These oils did nto take longer to drain because they were blended from the same base oils used for a 15W 40.

SAE numbers are not absolute values but denote a ISO visocosity range.

Scroll to the bottom of the page. It shaows comparative viscosities for SAE oils vs their actual ISO viscosities: http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/viscosity.htm#SAE306

Edited by GoLefty!!