Air Travel with CO2 Cartridges

gtriggs

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from the Kulula web site

• Bicycle inflation pumps filled with division 2.2 carbon dioxide non-flammable gas will be accepted
    for transportation as checked baggage only. The maximum amount per customer is limited to four
    16 gram cartridges. Cartridges larger than 16 grams will not be permitted for carriage.
    Please declare this when checking in for your flight.

I was about to say the same. Don't (and I mean DON'T) use the "b" word when you ask the security officer that question. Refer to them as CO2 tyre inflators. Put yourself in his/her shoes.

NO GO!

Also make sure you pack all your bike tools in your luggage, they are not going to be allowed on board as hand luggage.

thats interesting. I've always been told absolutely not. flying with saa recently i was asked both ways if i had any as not allowed.

lol, certainly wont use the B word...thanks all, will try get when land in CT. Hopefully still some available at the expo on Saturday afternoon

Been there ,done that! .Buy new at your destination .Check -in staff are confused when you tell them and i have had to fetch them from my luggage after check in and nearly missed the flight

Stick them in bike bag/box or in checked baggage, no problem. Don't fake them in hand luggage, it will be confiscated.

Stick them in bike bag/box or in checked baggage, no problem. Don't fake them in hand luggage, it will be confiscated.

I tried that in CT once, but they xRay the bike bags at the large luggage check in, and I got a serious tongue lashing and reprimand.

You might get away with sneaking a few in your luggage ... but I have been told they are not allowed,

thats interesting. I've always been told absolutely not. flying with saa recently i was asked both ways if i had any as not allowed.

Like i mentioned .CUNFUSION at check in .Nobody seems to know exactly .So you mention they are in your bike bag that has already been removed and packed .Ha Ha !.

You might get away with sneaking a few in your luggage but the rules clearly say no compressed gas goodies.

Never had a issue - did 4 trips to CT last year with kulula & SAA. Bombs in bike bag & at CT dropped it at scanners. Oh & I didn't let my tyres down...another urban legend. They won't explode.

My experience was a few years ago (2010), maybe its changed, I stand corrected.

Not sure but most recent was Atta earlier this year. Flew to George with bombs in bag with kulula from Lanseria. Again no issues.

Conversely, many bike boxes were offloaded two years ago flying from Cape Town to Durban for Sani. Havoc 7 that was.

Archived