Kitting a 'youngster' out for DH - cheapest options?

NotSoBigBen

Just because the Pro's don't use them doesn't make it loess of a good idea. Inexperienced riders are more likley to fall and crash and generally have not learnt how to fall properly. Watch guys like Minaar, Hannah, Smith et al, and see hwo they tuck and roll when they fall.

its the same with professional rugby players, most don't wear helmets or face guards but many do. Does the few that make it ok for experienced kids at high school to not wear them.

You're right it is your choice but that does not make the word "need" inappropriate

Yeah look i hear exactly where you are coming from ... and the more preventative measures for noobies the better. But again as I said its personal preference rather than necessity

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of interest, someone told me recently that a lot of the pros don't use neck braces because it makes it harder for them to tuck and roll out of a crash. Any truth to that?

So from a noobie that had a few tumbles already - yes I'm not an 'agressive' rider but somehow I mak it to the end of the course...

What you NEED is what the rules state:

- FF, elbow guards/full length shirt, knee guards and full gloves.

I add some googles to that too and my knee guards are the ones with the shin guards too - thank goodness I started out with those!

I do not think I will add a neckbrace soon to my kit, but hell, what I would love is some decent rib protection. Ones that cover the complete rib area, not just the front and back and leave the sides open. Somehow I always get hurt there. (Currently I am thinking G-form pads around ribs)

EDIT: oh and for a bigginner I would say go to 139 rather than Thaba!

Edited by hayleyearth

Maybe its the freeriders who are more into neckbraces ....?

http://image1.redbull.com/rbcom/010/2013-10-14/1331615609459_2/0010/1/1000/666/2/mountain-bikers-celebrate-at-red-bull-rampage-2013.jpg

I really don't recommend lying in hospital wondering if you will ever walk again, never mind ride your bike, but hey, that's me.

But personal choice, but same can be said about a helmet ..?

Also Big B, please get ur laitjie to practice wearing his goggles when his hanging out, that is very important. See above pic for some examples how the coolest most fearless mountain bikers do it.

Edited by kosmonooit

Maybe its the freeriders who are more into neckbraces ....?

http://image1.redbull.com/rbcom/010/2013-10-14/1331615609459_2/0010/1/1000/666/2/mountain-bikers-celebrate-at-red-bull-rampage-2013.jpg

I really don't recommend lying in hospital wondering if you will ever walk again, never mind ride your bike, but hey, that's me.

But personal choice, but same can be said about a helmet ..?

Also Big B, please get ur laitjie to practice wearing his goggles when his hanging out, that is very important. See above pic for some examples how the coolest most fearless mountain bikers do it.

Again, although a few do, the majority don't. And probably for a similar reason... mobility.

Not that I can backflip, but if I could, I would imagine that doing so with a neck brace is rather awkward.

I would venture to bet that there are more cases of severe neck injuries every year from people diving into swimming pools than there are from downhilling crashes. Probably not per capita, but fact is, many many people hurt themselves badly diving into and fooling around near the swimming pool... and they don't wear neck braces... or helmets.

As for the goggles...

There are 2 acceptable methods to looking cool with goggles whilst not riding.

Method one (as you illustrated)...

The Backwards (or Sideways) collar

http://img.losinground.com/sam-hill-profile-231x300.jpg

Note: They must never be worn facing forwards. That's just "not cool".

If you want to be extra cool... you need goggles with a "Factory Pilot" tag on the back (and face it forwards). This lets everyone know that you're the ish!

http://comingthru.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/gee.jpg

Method 2 (less common but still 'cool')

The Wristwatch/Armband

this method is so exclusive that I cannot find a picture of it.

But basically one doubles up the goggle strap and wears the goggles like a wrist watch or those ridiculous iPhone arm bands. (Most goggle frames and lenses are very flexible, so this doesn't damage them... and it's still considered 'cool' ).

The whole goggle trend is so that those goggle sponsors get their time in the limelight. Brands like Oakley, Adidas, Von Zipper, etc. get no real airtime, so I'm quite sure that it is probably a condition of contract, same as cruising onto the podium with the energy drink sponsoring your riding.

The whole goggle trend is so that those goggle sponsors get their time in the limelight. Brands like Oakley, Adidas, Von Zipper, etc. get no real airtime, so I'm quite sure that it is probably a condition of contract, same as cruising onto the podium with the energy drink sponsoring your riding.

oh... this changes things!

I think I should walking around pre/post race with my FNB credit card on a lanyard around my neck

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot... a shout out to my sponsors

#FNB

#WONGA

#DIRECTAXIS

#MAMAMTEMBUSSTOKVEL

#ITSVERYEXPENSIVETORIDEDHBIKES

Edited by patches

Back to the topic

Kit in order of importance:

1. A good fitting FF helmet (fit is essential).
  2. Knee pads (if he's riding flats, I'd suggest shin pads too)
  3. Elbow pads
  4. A good set of DH shorts (with hip protection)
  5. Full finger gloves
  6. To start I'd consider body armour with back protection (it will probably become a go to item when trying 'new' stunts, but mostly not used, it is just too cumbersome & hot).
  7. The neck brace would be the last piece of kit I'd buy (it really is personal preference and there are groups on both sides of the fence as to weather or not they are really that beneficial).

I think I should walking around pre/post race with my FNB credit card on a lanyard around my neck

You pay FNB monthly... Sounds like you have a *** sponsorship. :whistling:

post-271-0-00610900-1394689638_thumb.jpg

proper protective clothing for DH!

A red condom suit ....

http://shop.bikemag.com/media/catalog/product/cache/7/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/h/phillipe-perakis-mammoth-mountain-california.jpg

or

Darth Vaders rave outfit

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/pedalmafia/imgs/8/0/8024b0dd.jpg