[Event] MTN National MTB Series #4 Clarens Driven By Nissan

WesselvdWalt

Damn that was tough.

If you live in the FS - you just don't get riding as awesome as that ever.

I overcooked early in the race. At the end I thought I was in hell - a state of eternal damnation - I could see the town but every direction board pointed me up a hill or further away. The last 10 took forever.

RIP the man who died. Terrible tragedy.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there cheering you on! Proud moment :thumbup:

Almost brought tears to my eyes. Little guy begged me all morning to come ride with me so i said to him he should finish with me. Definitely didnt expect the reaction we got. Thanks a million for making a little guys day.

I believe that is Jennie stenerhag... Yes she survived and was 4th. I'm not 100% sure but she is Swedish nat champ and wears that kit so in pretty sure. I walked that bridge and I have no shame admitting that!

That bridge caught me out as well, came in too hot, had to put my foot down to re-align.

Told the photographer to rather delete my terrible attempt.

The Bridge is quite narrow, and required a wider entry angle.

Me three! Tricky entry, I dismounted in time. When you see photographers you must know there is more that likely a tricky section coming up.

So who was this, and did you survive?

There was a guy in front of me that stopped just before the bridge, tried to get going and wobbled. He was heading off, i was just too far to grab him, fortunately his left leg was unclipped and he managed to jump off his bike, no serious injuries but that fall was far down, 1-2m.

Damn that was tough.

At the end I thought I was in hell - a state of eternal damnation - I could see the town but every direction board pointed me up a hill or further away. The last 10 took forever.

Yup that was a bit serious, I didn't have any legs to ride those little climbs that were embedded, but there was some great single track and descents, but at the end of a longish hard ride I was a bit fatigued to truly enjoy it all. And ja, I was fooled when I came over that neck and thought it would all be downhill to the village from there.

At about 50km i started cramping, needless to say that last climb up the neck was hell, but i finished, tired and sore but not broken!

Saw a guy at water point 4 that lost his saddle somewhere, he finished like that! Crazy!

Oh man....

You know you've overcooked when you cross a puddle like in the pic below.

Normally I'd just bounce over that.

Not in Clarens.... Here I am- looking at it as if about to traverse a raging river in flood.

post-33147-0-77658200-1399383874_thumb.jpg

Oh man....

You know you've overcooked when you cross a puddle like in the pic below.

Normally I'd just bounce over that.

Not in Clarens.... Here I am- looking at it as if about to traverse a raging river in flood.

post-33147-0-77658200-1399383874_thumb.jpg

Taking a long shot here, but weren't you the guy I suffered (walked) with up that last climb through the neck? You have similar kit.

so on some of the jeep track through fields, there was the most amazing sweet smell but no obvious source (i.e. flowers). anyone got any idea what it was from?

Taking a long shot here, but weren't you the guy I suffered (walked) with up that last climb through the neck? You have similar kit.

Must be... :) We were inching our way op & out, but we did it!

And yes "suffered" is definitely the right word.