[Event] MTN National MTB Series #4 Clarens Driven By Nissan

WesselvdWalt

Wife managed to off herself 200m from the start. Adrenalin got the better of her and she was out the gates like a shot. Loose gravel over the ravin got the better of her and needless to say one trip to the Bethlehem hospital and 8 stitches later i never got to do the marathon. Thanks for all the help with people helping me carry two bikes and her. Fritz personally checked on her too while i was fetching the car which shows the calibre of the event.

My highlight of the weekend. Finishing the half marathon with my son and everyone at the finish cheering him on.

post-26143-0-04328000-1399272688_thumb.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fantastic weekend!

Had a blast, route was great, weather fantastic, beers cold etc etc :clap:

What was the cut off time for Ultra? Seems like many riders missed the cut.

Me and a friend entered for the ultra, had some mechanical issues but still managed to get to the 74.5km mark at 13h15 and was then told by the marshal that the cut-off there was 12h00!! And the the cut-off for the finish of the Ultra was 13h30. He said all that info was in the brochure/booklet but we could not find anything in there. I cannot believe that they only allow 6hrs time for the amateurs to finish the Ultra when some of the elite riders did not complete in in 6hrs. Was very disappointed as it seems no one was aware of these cut-off times.

Me and a friend entered for the ultra, had some mechanical issues but still managed to get to the 74.5km mark at 13h15 and was then told by the marshal that the cut-off there was 12h00!! And the the cut-off for the finish of the Ultra was 13h30. He said all that info was in the brochure/booklet but we could not find anything in there. I cannot believe that they only allow 6hrs time for the amateurs to finish the Ultra when some of the elite riders did not complete in in 6hrs. Was very disappointed as it seems no one was aware of these cut-off times.

That's rough and I think somewhat unreasonable. Riding the ultra as amateur is more about pacing yourself than racing. Also seeing people taking more than 8 hours to finish the marathon will surely allow enough time?

This happened to us as well. We were told the cut off at the 75km mark is 5 hours. We paced ourselves to get there after 4h40 and were told that we were cut off, please turn right here.

That was right after I fell off one of those narrow bridges and 2 meters into a ditch, so it was a blessing in disguise...

+1, i entered the Ultra and paced to make sure i made cut-off, i crossed the finish line after being cut-off (EARLY) in just under 5hrs (i still had 1hr according to their website). Was also told it is 12:00 when i got there, i also checked the brochure the night before, also saw nothing.

post-12440-0-12477200-1399293029_thumb.png

If you going to advertise a time, stick to it!!

My most dissappointing MTN event so far besides the cut-off. Got to WP4 & no coke, they were apparently supplied 12x 2L Cokes (they might have been 2.25L still WTF????), SERIOUSLY? That covers 150 riders? You have Pro Men, Pro Ladies, Ultra Amateur, Marathon A-Z, that's 1500 riders?

Or is this just another way to get in the extra entries & rape the consumer.

The less commercial races seem to be the way forward, Monster will definitely take preference over Rooiberg.

No more MTN races for me this year.

Was sad to see the medics doing CPR close to the finish, RIP fellow rider.

Wife managed to off herself 200m from the start. Adrenalin got the better of her and she was out the gates like a shot. Loose gravel over the ravin got the better of her and needless to say one trip to the Bethlehem hospital and 8 stitches later i never got to do the marathon. Thanks for all the help with people helping me carry two bikes and her. Fritz personally checked on her too while i was fetching the car which shows the calibre of the event.

My highlight of the weekend. Finishing the half marathon with my son and everyone at the finish cheering him on.

Was there cheering you on! Proud moment :thumbup:

What do you guys make of the new date next year April? Surely the heat together with the challenging route will be a factor and maybe they should consider making the starting times earlier?

I saw far less people this year than last year, I wonder if the total cost of the weekend is what kept them away.

Loved the first climb, hated the last climb and was fun to do that decent again this year,

That bridge caught me out as well, came in too hot, had to put my foot down to re-align.

Told the photographer to rather delete my terrible attempt.

The Bridge is quite narrow, and required a wider entry angle.