9 vs 10 speed road bike

Roadie_

Hi Folks

I'm looking to get into road riding and am searching for a 105 or better bike (around R10k). I've seen some advertised, but some are 9 speed and some are 10.

Is 9 speed ok or should I rather narrow my search to 10 speed only? Is there a big difference and if so, what?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I rode 9 speed for 5 years, there is nothing wrong if you get the correct ratios on your bike.

What size bike are you looking for, I have two nice road bikes I am selling at the moment.

Both are around 2007 models with 9 speed, one in 54cm with a compact crank and the other is a 56cm with a standard crank, both bikes are aluminium and have 105 components.

I have a choice of a few 9 speed cassettes 23-11 25-11 etc so can see if those will help you out.

The bikes are going for R5k each. The wheels on both bikes are decent training wheels but I suggest spend your other R5k on a nice set of wheels you can either "race" on or train on and use on your next bike. (Wheels can be 9 and 10 speed, dont have to choose.) I personally have a set of light rims that I use to "race" they were only 6K but by only using them for races, I get a lot more life out of the GP4000s on them and less chance of buckling them in traffic etc.

Pop me a PM if you are interested in the bikes

Thanks for reply. I sent you a PM. I'm new to this site...if you send a PM, will I see it on my profile here, or will it go to my e-mail address?

Nothing wrong with riding 9 speed - however if you are looking at 105 I wouldn't recommend 9 speed. Pretty dated and you will not get spares- anything replaced will have to be Sora. Also if the 9 speed bike has a full Shimano groupset- including the crank - it will likely be an octolink bottom bracket which are expensive and not well engineered to say the least. Go for a 10 speed and ride for years. At 10k are you talking new? Should get a 2nd hand 10 speed 105 for way less than that.

Thanks for info David. The latest bike I'm looking at has Ultegra components, but it's only 9 speed. Would hate to buy a 9 speed and then regret it and would want to upgrade shortly thereafter.

I understand that with MTB's, the more gears the better, but are many gears on a road bike as important? And, will it make climbing easier or better speeds on the flats due to more gears?

Decisions, decisions...

As for the 105, the Ultegra 9 speed is also history. From a cycling point of view the number of gears does not make that much of a difference (I'm about to be shot down). The spread ie range form highest to lowest combined with the chain ring sizes does. I rode an 8 speed 105 for a long time and performed no better or worse in races than on my 10 speed. I sold it and replaced it with another 10 speed just to keep things like wheels compatible between the bikes. Again I would not go for an old 9 speed. Rather a new Sora 9 speed than an old groupset but first prize a 10 speed.

The ratio of your cassette ie size of the biggest and smallest gears is what matters. In my area for general road use a 25/11 is usual with the strong men maybe riding a 23/11 and ladies and older guys a 27/12. The standard chain rings are 53/39. A compact crank is often 50/34 which gives you more climbing options. I ride a compact with 25/11 as standard and have no regrets about changing. It depends on where and how you ride.

As I said to me the numbere of intermediate gears is not so important. Your legs will tell you where to shift!

If you find the right bike, in the right size and at the right price, don't hesitate to go for a 9 speed, especially if it is in good condition with little wear on the drive train. Good quality road bike components last for a long time and there are many older bikes out there that were well looked after and with relatively few miles on them. The older 9 speed Shimano 105 or Ultegra were both pretty bomb proof and in my experience they keep on working. Remember that the most important thing to consider is the frame, then the wheels, then the drive train and only after that the other components.

Having said all that, if the choice is between two similar bikes, go for the 10 speed, just because it will be newer.

IMO, if you gonna keep the bike for yeara go 10spd as you will find 2nd hand replacements much easier especially shifters and deraileurs. If its something you are trying out and might switch to mtb go for 9spd as it will be cheaper because its older. Main thing is to get a decent frame and wheels no matter what you choose. 10 speed is a better choice if I really had to choose.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, the mud is looking a bit clearer. Will need to spend quite a bit of time perusing the classifieds to learn what bikes sell for and what's a good deal. Might hold out for a 10 speed and possibly carbon if I want to up my budget...maybe it's a buyers market when winter comes :wacko: .

Hi David

One last question (I think)... is a Compagnolo Centaur 10 speed group set also obsolete nowdays?

Hi David

One last question (I think)... is a Compagnolo Centaur 10 speed group set also obsolete nowdays?

I wouldn't call it obsolete, but then all the new bikes come out with 11 speed already, so, yes, you will be behind the curve already. The Campy Centaur 10 speed is a very solid groupset. Nothing wrong with it, about the same or a bit nicer than Shimano 105, but that is just my (biased) opinion.

Thanks DJR. Wouldn't be too happy buying a bike and then finding out it's obsolete a year later. Cheers

Hi David

Campag 10 speed is fully compatible across the range and spares at all levels are easily accessible.

You can buy 10 speed Centaur with confidence if the rest of the bike is ok.

Ps. Campag is also fully serviceable, unlike Shimano shifters which are not

9 speed will do the job no problems.

Chain reaction have nine speed spares and they be more durable and cheaper than 10 speed stuff. I know this for a fact because my eight speed road bike works fine