9 vs 10 speed road bike

Roadie_

Campag 10 speed is fully compatible across the range and spares at all levels are easily accessible.

You can buy 10 speed Centaur with confidence if the rest of the bike is ok.

Ps. Campag is also fully serviceable, unlike Shimano shifters which are not

This is THE major difference between the two makes. If something inside a Shimano shifter breaks, you replace the whole thing. With Campy you can replace any little spring or part and rebuild! I like that! :thumbup:

for R10k you should have no problem finding a 2-3 year old bike with 10 speed 105 and probable stuff like carbon forks. Try look for a Cannondale CAAD8 in that range, awesome alloy bike!

Hi (again) guys.

Another question - how long should components last? If I purchase a +/- 5 year old bike (with 105 upwards), would it be likely that I would need to replace shifters, derailleur etc soon...or might i get another 5 years out of it? I understand that a chain and tyres might need to be replaced, just not sure of the rest.

how long is a piece of string? depends on how much riding you are going to do and how many kms.

In 5 years you are likely to replace the chain and cassette, maybe the chain rings, otherwise everything else should last