Just how stuffed is my drivetrain?

Rudi Pollard

I would say about 3500 - 4000km

in six weeks, are you planning on giving froomedawg a run for his money at le tour?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say about 3500 - 4000km

That's fantastic compared to my last driveline lasted 2000km's and yes I do look after it very well, just one to many muddy rides. Last chain 321km's with one really muddy 40km ride. KCNC $h!t. :angry:

I had a close look at my drivetrain after saturdays mud at the ASG race. Just how screwed am I?

Jockey wheels:

post-27075-1395672847,839.jpg

Chainring:

post-27075-1395672874,8504.jpg

I already know the chain needs to be replaced and I am fairly sure my cassette is still okay.

Dullstroom, Sabie and Tyger valley in the space of 6 weeks has not been good to my bike...

Why ia that chainring running so close to the chain stay? :eek:

It runs very close to the chain stay. I've had it checked out twice before and both time I've been told that its fine like that. It still concerns me that there is nearly no clearance between the chainring and chain stay.

It runs very close to the chain stay. I've had it checked out twice before and both time I've been told that its fine like that. It still concerns me that there is nearly no clearance between the chainring and chain stay.

Cant see if this is BB30 or GXP. If GXP do you have any spacers between the drive side bearing cup and the frame?

Cant see if this is BB30 or GXP. If GXP do you have any spacers between the drive side bearing cup and the frame?

It is GXP. I am not sure if there is a spacer in there and I specifically asked my LBS to check the spacing of the crank as I was concerned about it, so I would be pretty pissed off if its not right.

Where do I get the spacers and what is the ideal spacing?

It is GXP. I am not sure if there is a spacer in there and I specifically asked my LBS to check the spacing of the crank as I was concerned about it, so I would be pretty pissed off if its not right.

Where do I get the spacers and what is the ideal spacing?

LBS will have spacers. I normally run 1 spacer on the drive side but it all depends on the frame I suppose and getting the clearance right.

Guest Smimby

I had a close look at my drivetrain after saturdays mud at the ASG race. Just how screwed am I?

Jockey wheels:

post-27075-1395672847,839.jpg

Chainring:

post-27075-1395672874,8504.jpg

I already know the chain needs to be replaced and I am fairly sure my cassette is still okay.

Dullstroom, Sabie and Tyger valley in the space of 6 weeks has not been good to my bike...

99% change that your cassette is history also.

hate it when a race(doing what you love) sets you back so damn much cause of poor weather!

Isn't this just part and parcle of the sport?? i mean why MTB if you are too scared to put your bike through some mud?

Rather sacrifice the weight (couple of grams) and put more sturdy components on...

Saw this again inthe Epic stage 1 - notioced how many Pro's punctured because they were all on light racing tubeless tyres??? IF they had invested in normal, proper USt tyres (yes, they are heavier) they would perhaps have reached the podium???

Ill ride it as is till a week before MTN Clarens and then replace everything in time for that race as well as Sani. I will have a look at the spacing this afternoon. Thanks for the help guys

sorry posted the wrong link

http://www.mymountai...t-sram-gxp.html

How will I be able to see if that one spacer is in there or not?

Its the black parts in between the frame and bb cups. Clearly visible in this pic below....

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/sram/542735d1273677952-sram-xx-chain-ring-gap-chain-stay-img464.jpg

As you can see in this internet pic, the TREK frame does not have the exterior BB cups

http://www.switchbackmb.com/contentimages/Trek_Superfly_2.jpg