Upgrading to Full Carbon road bike.

Winstonian1984

The CAAD 10 was a bike that I was looking at. There is just something about Cannondale that I like.

Can't go wrong with a CaaD10 :thumbup:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For 30k you could have a Scott Foil 20

http://www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Scott_Foil20.jpg

Then i will have to wait even longer. :huh: I am favouring the Cannondale supersix evo 5 105 @ R24k. Just depends how the Will power goes.

Then i will have to wait even longer. :huh: I am favouring the Cannondale supersix evo 5 105 @ R24k. Just depends how the Will power goes.

That Cannondale is a fantastic option. A top drawer frame with reasonably good components. Get it, you won't be disappointed.

A company called De-Tect can perform a radiographic scan of your bike and find those cracks for you, alu or carbon frames. Give them a call.

X-ray doesnt work for detecting cracks in carbon. The best technique is flash thermography afik, but that is seriously expensive.

Met a guy on the road today, he said I should keep my 11.5kg tank and use it for training, and when I get a carbon bike, use it on racedays. Is this a wise idea?

My problem with that is then you have a 30k bike that you ride only 10 to 20 days in the year - not good imo. Secondly, you wont generate more power on a heavy bike, you will just climb a hill slightly slower. I do not see how that will translate into a training benefit.

To add to his questions I am 1.95 and weigh 110kg. Can carbon or hybrid handel extra weight ... Should I stay with alloy? My budget is a little lower at 15. And better frame or better components?

At your weight, a steel or carbon frame will be the best option, these frames are stronger than aluminium in general. Several of my big riding buddies have broken their alu frames.

My problem with that is then you have a 30k bike that you ride only 10 to 20 days in the year - not good imo. Secondly, you wont generate more power on a heavy bike, you will just climb a hill slightly slower. I do not see how that will translate into a training benefit.

You make a valid point with ride a 30k bike 10-20 days a year. As for the training benefit, maybe it will be more psycological than physiological.

Very astute choice

Send a pic when you make the deal.

Very astute choice

Send a pic when you make the deal.

Is there any major difference between the 2012 supersix 5 105 and 2014 supersix evo 5 105?

Edited by Winstonian1984

Here is another great buy, and you can join you can brag with your neighbour.

KTM Revelator 3500. Full Carbon, Full Shimano 105, with great Ritchey components.

All KTM bikes I see is currently being sold at less 15%, so you can get this beauty for R 22k.

http://www.ktm-bikes...lator-3500.html

I had the top of the range Revelator i.e. Dura Ace etc 6.5kg and it was the best bike that I have ever ridden. SUPER FAST.. The frame is the same mould as the Revelator Prime, so you get the race performance.

And I love that it's a bike that not everyone has.. i.e. some uniqueness.. And obviously a cool color scheme too.

post-16263-0-09135400-1396508237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bicycleman

Is there any major difference between the 2012 supersix 5 105 and 2014 supersix evo 5 105?

They're virtually two different bikes.

Evo is an improved tech.

In general , both are good solid products.

Here is another great buy, and you can join you can brag with your neighbour.

KTM Revelator 3500. Full Carbon, Full Shimano 105, with great Ritchey components.

All KTM bikes I see is currently being sold at less 15%, so you can get this beauty for R 22k.

http://www.ktm-bikes...lator-3500.html

I had the top of the range Revelator i.e. Dura Ace etc 6.5kg and it was the best bike that I have ever ridden. SUPER FAST.. The frame is the same mould as the Revelator Prime, so you get the race performance.

And I love that it's a bike that not everyone has.. i.e. some uniqueness.. And obviously a cool color scheme too.

I must admit, my neighbours KTM was super nice. Just had a look at the Revelator prime :drool: :drool:

Edited by Winstonian1984

They're virtually two different bikes.

Evo is an improved tech.

In general , both are good solid products.

Ah, well I spotted a 2012 Supersix 5 105 going for R18k or in that region. Thats the will power or lack thereof.....2014 Supersix evo 5 105, 2014 Supersix evo 5 105, 2014 Supersix evo 5 105. Come on you can do it :w00t:

Edited by Winstonian1984

Ah, well I spotted a 2012 Supersix 5 105 going for R18k or in that region. Thats the will power or lack thereof.....2014 Supersix evo 5 105, 2014 Supersix evo 5 105, 2014 Supersix evo 5 105. Come on you can do it :w00t:

How to combine what the brain suggests and the heart desires - hmmmm

How to combine what the brain suggests and the heart desires - hmmmm

The anomaly that humans struggle with all the time LOL.

• 2 months later...