Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No mention of if the frame is a fake or not?

Yeah, typical fluff when lawyers ain't got squat is to never directly address the main accusation against their client. If that was even written by a lawyer, and I have doubts.

Regarding the bike spec; a friend and cycling partner of mine bought a fake Pinarello before me at Cycle Science. I said I wanted the same bike, except the electric Record whereas my friend got the manual Record, and I wanted the 'black on black' colour scheme.

(Before you start thinking what an utter moron, I have been going to the same LBS for over five years. I have bought my son a Bianchi there and my gardener two bikes. I trusted Cycle Science implicitly as the good person from Boksburg who got my old bike will attest. I didn't haggle or try and 'nickel and dime' them as the Americans would say.)

So they quoted me R91,000 for the bike, and we went through it in John's book, and recorded it manually. I do not have a record of this and the cost of each item. Similarly, it sounded reasonable and in line with market prices, or at least I thought so at the time. If only I had the benefit of hindsight, I would have been more astute when choosing my LBS and probably not eat curry before flying!

Note to Cycle Science: You might want to think of getting rid of 'The Book'

p.s. As I mentioned in an earlier post, one person, let's call him invoice number one, did get his money back. He got his money back a couple of hours before Carte Blanch came knocking... He called to thank me and was very gracious and; even though he got his money back, he stood by me with CB.

Andrew, I think your first line is misleading?

Did your friend willingly buy one, did he know it was a fake when he bought it?

Or when did he find out it was a fake?

This needs clarification.

The sentence could have been structured differently, but, in my opinion, based on this thread, when I read that sentence, I assumed the friend also only found out it was a fake after he had purchased the bike.

@MaXiMuM I agree with you.

Failed to reach 100 pages this Friday

Not sure if that's good or bad :huh:

Not enough disputing

It's bad

The sentence could have been structured differently, but, in my opinion, based on this thread, when I read that sentence, I assumed the friend also only found out it was a fake after he had purchased the bike.

Read it again, and then Andrew clarified in a later post.

His mate got his loot back.

Two things I've learnt from this thread:

1. Purchase certain brands from authorized dealers only (check the brand's websites for dealers).

2. When I see a Pinarello Dogma on the road, it's most probably a Chinarello Dodgy.

Thanks Andrew and happy birthday :thumbup:

The other unintended consequence as it is with Seikos, Rolexs, Oakleys, etc is that as the fake numbers increase there is a tipping point where the real versions are assumed to be fake by everyone as the going in position.

Of course never an issue for me ... I am not a poser of course :whistling: ... but it undermines the brands traction and has significant impact on sales.

Before I get flamed maybe I should admit ....I may be a bit of a poser :blush:

explain please

Ahhh, I miss read the post.

Andrew - we still need clarification on my earlier post.

When did you mate know it was a fake? Before or after he bought it?

What actions are being taken?