A bike for my daughter

Wipeout2

Hi all,

I am really chuffed that my 2 girls have enjoyed the new bike track in Benoni, that the eldest now needs an urgent upgrade (as her girly bike; the neck broke on Saturday).

I have been looking around......

1. On the hub.....not many bikes in the price range and suited for her (funny when you not looking there seem to be plenty!)

2. Cajees and a few other bike shops, looking at R3K +, eish

3. Makro - on special R799....goed koop is deur koop

She is 12. I was thinking of either a 24inch, but thought perhaps a 26er with a small or X small frame would be better.

Does anyone have any suggestions? or does anyone have a bike fitting this profile gathering dust in their garage that I could purchase for her (budget would be around R1500 and max R2000 for something half decent)?

Thanks

Don't even consider a 24inch at 12 years old (unless she is short for her age). Look at an Xtra Small 26inch.

I bought a second hand Giant for my daughter. I got it from a Doctor who was planning to cycle from her flat to the hospital, but she never rode it. I paid R1 200 for what is effectively a brand new bike.

There are lots of bargains out there, but such small frames are difficult to come by.

She will grow out of a 24 inch very quickly. Also depends on how keen she is on riding. My 14 year old son is on a medium 26 inch frame, but keen to move up to 27.5. He is an avid rider, though.

I have his old 26 Scott Small aluminium, he is now on a BH carbon. We paid R11k for it 18 months ago. It has been ridden hard in XCO races at Thaba Trails, but I certainly wouldn't part with it for less than R6k. If she's a keen rider, spend a little more.

Bargains will come eventually. My son used a XS Titan Disc till he was 12. He could've used it longer but switched to a roadbike instead.

Depends on her length, but generally a 24" is for 8 to 12yr olds. For your budget, you may need to look at a good second hand 26er. Maybe look at silverback brand as they are generally good value. You will battle to find a new bike with OK spec for the budget. Maybe look at spending a bit more, then you can pass it on later to the younger one.

She will grow out of a 24 inch very quickly. Also depends on how keen she is on riding. My 14 year old son is on a medium 26 inch frame, but keen to move up to 27.5. He is an avid rider, though.

I have his old 26 Scott Small aluminium, he is now on a BH carbon. We paid R11k for it 18 months ago. It has been ridden hard in XCO races at Thaba Trails, but I certainly wouldn't part with it for less than R6k. If she's a keen rider, spend a little more.

Hi, thanks, but R6K, nope. She is not that keen as yet.

Bargains will come eventually. My son used a XS Titan Disc till he was 12. He could've used it longer but switched to a roadbike instead.

Trying to strike whilst the iron is hot

Hi there,

Might just be able to help you; I have a old but brand new Kona HAHANNA , small frame hanging in my Garage;

Regards,

Martin