Joberg2c versus Epic

Eldron

Couldn't watch the video (blocked at work), but if it's only on the pans I can take my road bike!

Talking about adventure, who's following the fat kid on a bik? "Lettie’s ride - a proud South African’s 27 month, 43,000km bicycle expedition through every country on mainland Africa, and onto the 2015 Rugby World Cup in London – celebrating health, vitality, mobility, adventure, life, and the #HumanSpirit." http://fatkidonabike.com/

Awesome!

*Sorry for the hijack...*

Read this in the latest Ride magazine...awesome story :clap:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I race professionally and can tell you that even I prefer J2c over Epic for most of the reasons already listed.

Epic gives us the media platform we need to attract sponsors, so on a strictly professional front for us, Epic is vital and they do a great job with their media, we need them!

I can tell you, it "feels" like more of an accomplishment to stand in front of an Epic marquee and be handed an African leaders jersey than to do the same at J2c for winning a stage, but it's not as relaxed and fun.

Epic is high stress for us with future sponsorships literally riding on the line, where any number of things can go wrong at any turn and sweep those all away besides the 4 months of hard graft you've put in to be racing at the front end.

At J2c we get to let our hair down a little, turn the stress knob back a notch, socialize with people from all walks of life in the marquees (at Epic we don't eat at the venue for risk of picking up a bug) even have a beer if we want to. The vibe is much better, I reckon everyone is more relaxed, not just us. The evenings/prize givings are generally a hoot with the 3 stooges raking each other and makes for much more entertainment than most MC's would.

J2c feels like a journey, you're headed somewhere, I like that. Throw in some of the most spectacular terrain and trails in the world along the way, you can't go wrong. You have much more sense of community with J2c, both with your fellow riders and with the local communities along the way who accommodate the race. It's coming from the attitude of the race organisers and filtering right through.

Life's a journey, enjoy the J2c. Put some Johnny Clegg on your playlist, it'll fit right in as you adventure across our beautiful land.

Hopefully I get to meet some of you there this year. Come say howsit to the "pro's" and ask us questions if you have. I think sometimes we look aloof/distant/unapproachable huddling in our circles at tables, but that's just because we gravitate towards the guys we know, and most of us are actually too shy to go out and meet new people much as we'd like to.

Great to hear,

Who are you so we know who to look for?

Mike

Darren Lill

Hi Darren .Well said ! or is that written ?.We need the Epic more than we need any other event and for that it still needs our support .I still have to do the epic so everyone can stop asking me If I have .JB2C is almost a personal journey shared with other fellow Saffas and some Kiwi,s .When you reach the village at jb2c ,there was Kelly,s 2 young boys with their trucks playing in the gravel and you felt at home .This is after being spoilt at the water tables by the local,s from the area .After doing the 9 days I felt a lot more positive about RSA and our future here .There are just to many good people in RSA that will not let our heritage be destroyed by a incompetent government

As my mates know, I am a cycling hacker who rides as a form of moving meditation.

I was fortunate enough to get a sponsored entry for the middle leg of J2C from my employer. I am not as deserving of this as many other 'real cyclists' may be. I have been inspired to lose close to 35kg and have ridden more in the first three and a bit months of this year than either 2011 or 2012.

My goal is to beat the cutoff times every day and breathe the air, smell the flowers and eat some good Karan steak.

J2C 2015 100% committed. Next year will be planned around a double lap Argus, J2C and Wines to Whales. 94.7 MTB and road this year to be used for seeding for Argus. I really want to be ready to enjoy J2c. Doing Panorama this year.

This year will be my 5th joberg2c, enogh said in that

also done Dusi2c, Sani2c and Berg n Bush.

Epic is madness for the normal man to do with take out a second bond or maxing the credit card.

However all of the above baring Epic are an absolute blast.

heres to number 5 joberg2c

Edited by norm333

You can't go wrong... if I wasn't getting married later this year, I would be lining up next week for sure.

It's not too late too change your mind.