Joberg2c versus Epic

Eldron

Roadie - don't do it! Many more stage races that need doing. Mauritius, Madagascar, CPT, jozi2cozi etc. We are frikkin lucky in SA to have a multitude of stage races on our doorstep. Not enough time to do any of them twice!!!!

Preach brother!

Also check out www.makpans.com - https://vimeo.com/79865590. More an adventure than anything else.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kekekkee...roadie Preach it brother...I am eyeing lowveld quest...looks like a gas, and it passes through mankele, nuff said

You can't go wrong... if I wasn't getting married later this year, I would be lining up next week for sure.

However, I completed Epic in 2013 and I'm glad I did it. Will I spend that sort of money again - no.

Haven't done either - there's my disclaimer.

Funny how often I hear from people who have done the Epic (and it's kind of the trend on this thread as well) - Race X or Race Y is better than the Epic, too much hype, <fill in rest of critisms here> BUT I'm glad I did it or you have to do it at least once.

I always think, Uhhm, given my limited budget I'd rather go and do the race you liked better, and then when everything else is done, I'll consider the Epic.

Haven't done either - there's my disclaimer.

Funny how often I hear from people who have done the Epic (and it's kind of the trend on this thread as well) - Race X or Race Y is better than the Epic, too much hype, <fill in rest of critisms here> BUT I'm glad I did it or you have to do it at least once.

I always think, Uhhm, given my limited budget I'd rather go and do the race you liked better, and then when everything else is done, I'll consider the Epic.

You need to do it at least once to find out if it is your cup of tea!

You can't go wrong... if I wasn't getting married later this year, I would be lining up next week for sure.

I would do the race... Id postpone the sentencing till next year, once you get sentenced its a bottomless pit of money.

pay as you go is better than contract

Haven't done Epic but I can tell you that J2C is fantastic!

Keen to try CPT later this year. Not sure I'll do Epic without sponsor.

You need to do it at least once to find out if it is your cup of tea!

I would love to do it at some stage, but got a few others to tick off first. Starting with CPT later this year

Doing J2C in 3 weeks

If it goes well I'll put my name onto the Epic waiting list and start looking for a partner

If not I'll take up road riding full time (just kidding)

CANT WAIT

Done the J2C and the Epic when it was still dorp to dorp in 2006.

Both were awesome. Both were tough.

Epic was tougher.

I smiled more at the J2C

Better tracks at the J2C

I walked more at the Epic.

I had better food at the J2C.

J2C was way way cheaper with before race accommodation and after and servicing etc.

I will do both again if I ever get the opportunity.

Haven't done Epic but I can tell you that J2C is fantastic!

Keen to try CPT later this year. Not sure I'll do Epic without sponsor.

+1....they have the right mix of trails / hospitality / spirit / catering...mix in some good tjommies and you have a blast for 9 days. Like Eldron says, its tough enough to feel that you have done something but they don't take you to mordor everyday. I mean we suiped at least 6-7 beers everday....so there is no pressure...just lekker riding

+1....they have the right mix of trails / hospitality / spirit / catering...mix in some good tjommies and you have a blast for 9 days. Like Eldron says, its tough enough to feel that you have done something but they don't take you to mordor everyday. I mean we suiped at least 6-7 beers everday....so there is no pressure...just lekker riding

Agreed rouxtjie, was 9 awesome days on mtb......and if you want to make it tougher just ride harder :whistling:

Agreed rouxtjie, was 9 awesome days on mtb......and if you want to make it tougher just ride harder :whistling:

Exactly oom....our table...me, you, skillz, jason, graham, darryl, jakallas made it for me...the banter and memories were awesome....

Done the J2C and the Epic when it was still dorp to dorp in 2006.

Both were awesome. Both were tough.

Epic was tougher.

I smiled more at the J2C

Better tracks at the J2C

I walked more at the Epic.

I had better food at the J2C.

J2C was way way cheaper with before race accommodation and after and servicing etc.

I will do both again if I ever get the opportunity.

Same experiences as you but I would not go back to do Epic again whereas I am going to do Jhb2C in a few weeks time.

Reason for giving Epic a miss is twofold.

1. Many other stage races to do - last time I counted over 60 on our calender.

2. Epic route/organisation is not aimed at making an enjoyable experience but rather a very tough one. I am past the point in my life where I need to pay excessive cash to "prove" my mettle.

Will do them both when the mountain bike bubble bursts, have found that most of the races are milking us for every last cent. Did 18 last year and that included 3 stage races.

I ride every weekend on open trails and dread the day this land gets developed and I am forced to pay to do something I have grown to love.

I race professionally and can tell you that even I prefer J2c over Epic for most of the reasons already listed.

Epic gives us the media platform we need to attract sponsors, so on a strictly professional front for us, Epic is vital and they do a great job with their media, we need them!

I can tell you, it "feels" like more of an accomplishment to stand in front of an Epic marquee and be handed an African leaders jersey than to do the same at J2c for winning a stage, but it's not as relaxed and fun.

Epic is high stress for us with future sponsorships literally riding on the line, where any number of things can go wrong at any turn and sweep those all away besides the 4 months of hard graft you've put in to be racing at the front end.

At J2c we get to let our hair down a little, turn the stress knob back a notch, socialize with people from all walks of life in the marquees (at Epic we don't eat at the venue for risk of picking up a bug) even have a beer if we want to. The vibe is much better, I reckon everyone is more relaxed, not just us. The evenings/prize givings are generally a hoot with the 3 stooges raking each other and makes for much more entertainment than most MC's would.

J2c feels like a journey, you're headed somewhere, I like that. Throw in some of the most spectacular terrain and trails in the world along the way, you can't go wrong. You have much more sense of community with J2c, both with your fellow riders and with the local communities along the way who accommodate the race. It's coming from the attitude of the race organisers and filtering right through.

Life's a journey, enjoy the J2c. Put some Johnny Clegg on your playlist, it'll fit right in as you adventure across our beautiful land.

Hopefully I get to meet some of you there this year. Come say howsit to the "pro's" and ask us questions if you have. I think sometimes we look aloof/distant/unapproachable huddling in our circles at tables, but that's just because we gravitate towards the guys we know, and most of us are actually too shy to go out and meet new people much as we'd like to.

Edited by ActionMan1982

Preach brother!

Also check out www.makpans.com - https://vimeo.com/79865590. More an adventure than anything else.

Couldn't watch the video (blocked at work), but if it's only on the pans I can take my road bike!

Talking about adventure, who's following the fat kid on a bik? "Lettie’s ride - a proud South African’s 27 month, 43,000km bicycle expedition through every country on mainland Africa, and onto the 2015 Rugby World Cup in London – celebrating health, vitality, mobility, adventure, life, and the #HumanSpirit." http://fatkidonabike.com/

Awesome!

*Sorry for the hijack...*