SSpecialized trademark nazis at it AGAIN!!!

jmaccelari

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting. Just to be sure is it ALLEZ vs ALIZE ?

yeah or if pronounced correcly , Alay va Alease

Don't underestimate the value of a brand, and the amount of money that goes into creating that value.

Large companies with high brand value on balance sheet and based on customer loyalty, will go to any extreme to protect their brand. And small opportunists will do anything to position their brands close to the bigger and better known brands. Bicycles, sports clothes, FMCG, fast food, etc..

Think of the recent debacle in South Africa with the Polo (clothing) brand. Bet you that a few consumers felt short-changed that their beloved Polo shirt was actually made in SA and wasn't from the beloved Ralph Lauren stable.

Don't underestimate the value of a brand, and the amount of money that goes into creating that value.

Large companies with high brand value on balance sheet and based on customer loyalty, will go to any extreme to protect their brand. And small opportunists will do anything to position their brands close to the bigger and better known brands. Bicycles, sports clothes, FMCG, fast food, etc..

Think of the recent debacle in South Africa with the Polo (clothing) brand. Bet you that a few consumers felt short-changed that their beloved Polo shirt was actually made in SA and wasn't from the beloved Ralph Lauren stable.

Yeah, it was weird that that story resurfaced recently. It made headlines five years ago.

Yeah, it was weird that that story resurfaced recently. It made headlines five years ago.

True. I remember talking about it years ago with friends and we still joked about the horse/player facing the wrong way. I head JC Crew is the same with Edgars (or whoever sells it) and it has nothing to do with the real JC Crew although it looks almost similar.

I'd agree with you 100%, but SSpecialized are going crazy. Throwing a sue-ball at anyone on the horizon for the slightest, most tenuous reason is not the way to run a business.

If they had had a decent case, I would have been 100% behind them, but when they are just throwing **** and hoping some sticks somewhere, it's unconscionable.

Edited by jmaccelari

True. I remember talking about it years ago with friends and we still joked about the horse/player facing the wrong way. I head JC Crew is the same with Edgars (or whoever sells it) and it has nothing to do with the real JC Crew although it looks almost similar.

Here's my mate's take on it:

http://www.iol.co.za/blogs/wendy-knowler-s-consumer-watch-1.1608/polo-pony-rides-on-reputation-1.1670273

Neil Pryde are probably the biggest brand in the very competitive windsurfing industry. I've got quite a bit of their kit in my quiver and it's top notch.

I don't think they were ever going to take spesh on with this, but could maybe have milked the PR angle a bit more.

either way, hotttttt bikes. i want one.

http://road.cc/sites/default/files/imagecache/galleria_600/images/News/Neil%20Pryde%20Nazare%CC%81.jpg

http://www.neilprydebikes.com/images/com_npbikes/product/19_105.jpghttp://www.neilprydebikes.com/images/com_npbikes/product/21_118.jpg

question, the NP Alize was launched in 2010.

Why did it take spaz so long to kick up a fuss? is there a statute of limitations on this ever.

t might seem an odd leap for a windsurfing and sailing company to start making bikes, but that’s what NeilPryde have done. The company discovered that 60 percent of their customers are also keen cyclists, so started working with Designworks USA to create a bike range for windsurfers who swap Neoprene for Lycra.

• Frame: At the first attempt, NeilPryde hit the mark. For an aero frame, the Alize is very light, and very little of your effort is wasted (9/10)
  • Handling: Lively enough to race, stable enough if you want to fit tri-bars and enter time trials or triathlons. The ride is firm but far from uncomfortable (9/10)
  • Equipment: A full house of Shimano Ultegra kit is solid value at this price and shifts gears with quiet efficiency. We also got on well with the Selle italia Sl saddle (8/10)
  • Wheels: As an all-round wheelset you can’t argue with Mavic Ksyrium Elites. But these aren’t the most aerodynamic wheels for a bike like this (8/10)

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-neil-pryde-alize-ultegra-11-43718/

http://www.neilprydebikes.com/images/com_npbikes/product/20_111.jpg

Isn't that a tune by Enreekay?

Allez - 'ah-ley' meaning 'go'

Alize - 'A-lee-zeh' meaning 'trade wind'

Go figure...

Yeah, I can see the infringement

NOT

:-/

Spez Corporate, you're out of line

Edited by ' Dale