What Nutrition to use? PLEASE HELP

Guest TheEpicOne

Guest TheEpicOne

Hi there all Hubbers!

I've started my MTB career about 4 years ago and was use to drink GAME / ENERGADE while training and doing races.

2 years ago, I started to use USN Cypto Power HP, but at last years Wine 2 Whales event my body felt like nothing helped....I even did the VO2 MAX loading phase, followed a correct eating plan ect.

My normal training rides is from 10km - 100km (45min to 5hrs).

I've recently moved over to BIOGEN, but still doesn't feel like its workong for me. I want something that give me boost while riding and I want to feel that Im actually drinking something that works!

Please help me and give me some advice, I'm new to this site so please forgive me if there was already posts like this.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Hi Riaanoster. Do you use the products while training? If so, you might have conditioned your body in such a manner that you don't experience the benefits anymore. At least you now know that those products don't have an adverse effect on you..

Try training without all the supplements and still maintain your training volume and intensity. Try to make your body more economical while maintaining the same functional capacity. Focus on proper nutrition, hydration and rest. Only use supplements when racing or doing long events. Supplements should actually just be there as final back-up when the paw-paw hits the fan and not for performance enhancement.

There is no supplement that is going to give you the "BOOST" that you are looking for. The reason for the supplements/nutrition is to help you maintain your energy levels for the duration of the race. Train harder.

I'm wondering whether you're looking for a magic drink that can improve your performance when you wrote "give me a boost".

You going through some reputable race nutrition there.

Maybe have a critical look at the way you train instead?

For me eating on longer rides is important - bar and/or banana and some form of protein right after ride - either protein shake or steri stumpie. First 30 minutes after ride is most important for recovery - so eat protein carb mix at ratio of 1:4

Lots of people swear by hammer - try it - it does not work for me and I use usn epic pro on long rides

Hi Riaanoster

I've been in a similar situation, and almost stuffed-up Tankwa as a result..

What works for me:

1. Ideally I have found it best to train with what I use in long rides - so that nothing comes as a shock on race day..

2. I have ditched gels - they cause me all sorts of issues, and have switched to Woolies toddler food - cottage pie and guava/banana - they come in convenient pouches, and are close to puree, so you don't have to chew too much...

3. Try other products if you're not happy with what you're using. I've experimented with a number and settled on the ones that don't give me the squirts - so I now use Perpetuem and Rehydrate in the bottles..

Cheers

Tom

I would try the new REFLEX range out, your body does need recovery supplements before, during and after, biomax is a cheaper version of USN....and usn has failed many industry standards before, REFLEX is a company from the UK, you order through them directly, they will even offer you a free body and training assessment to workout what you might need, they dont just try sell you their whole range, no more than 2 products. check them out, they also use natural oats and barley where usn and friends use cheap maltodextrin fillers.

I think it is tine for you to go to a dietician. You need to look at the bigger picture, not just what you ingest during racing and training.

Guest TheEpicOne

Thanks so much for the quick response and replies! Appreciate it!

Currently I train on BIOGEN CyptoGen and use USN RecoverMax or Rehydrate as recovery drink.

I also thought to train on water and use these supplements only on / before and after race day.

I like the kind of riding I currently do which is short intense rides (Cross Country?) and now and then a long ride of 80km+

I would say I'm fit, but will you ever bit as fit as you want to be?

Maybe it is time to see a dietician to get some more advice?

Remember nutrition won't make you go faster, training will do that. Nutrition will allow you to go at your pace for longer but eventually you will run out.