[Event] Gravel Travel - NEW Venue & Route.

The Search

I came in at 3h04. Just glad I actually finished. In weather like this you just pray that your equipment will not let you down. One big muddy stone in your drivetrain, and it's game over. Unless you manage to convert it to SS.

I could have done much better, but I hit the wall on the last 10km on those farm roads going up and down all the time. I should have had more stuff to eat at the stops. But I am no racing snake, so it's not so important.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I came in at 3h04. Just glad I actually finished. In weather like this you just pray that your equipment will not let you down. One big muddy stone in your drivetrain, and it's game over. Unless you manage to convert it to SS.

I could have done much better, but I hit the wall on the last 10km on those farm roads going up and down all the time. I should have had more stuff to eat at the stops. But I am no racing snake, so it's not so important.

I also came a bit unstuck on those farm roads. Don't know why the rolling hills kill me every time. The corrugations were also a bit hectic, so I ended up weaving to stay on smooth sections of the road.

I must say much respect to everyone who did it. I was in Wellington doing my rugby coaching duties against Hugenote HS and staring at the Mountains and stading in the rain I could only #imagine the race! Big Ups People!

Ps, maybe we should arrange a get together for hubbers in the Cape Town area? I could arrange a venue in DBV?

Could some1 please share some light on the category abbreviations.

smh -

Svh -

Vmh -

???????? Please.

Edited by bikemakpro

Hi Cleats, did you end up doing the 35? What time did you get?

Does anyone have the total ascent for the 65? My Garmin stopped counting at 1068!

My Polar GPS gives me 1480m and Strava gives me 1850m, strava normally way out tho although yesterday felt like 1800 haha!

Johnny B. I have a second hand XO rear if you want. I upgraded to clutch so it lying around. Works perfectly but has no jockey wheels. Yours for R300 if you want. Pm me if you keen.

I also have a clutch derailer on my bike. Turns out my derailer is broke, my cassette is damaged, 2 spokes on the rim are bent, and my frame is damaged. Fun day out.

I must say much respect to everyone who did it. I was in Wellington doing my rugby coaching duties against Hugenote HS and staring at the Mountains and stading in the rain I could only #imagine the race! Big Ups People!

Ps, maybe we should arrange a get together for hubbers in the Cape Town area? I could arrange a venue in DBV?

a meet sounds great - the former high school IRC nerd in me likes the idea. Or maybe we should do a Reeds Night Ride at Meerendal and arrange which corner and time to huddle in for boeries.

a meet sounds great - the former high school IRC nerd in me likes the idea. Or maybe we should do a Reeds Night Ride at Meerendal and arrange which corner and time to huddle in for boeries.

I could arrange a venue at out church with under roof braai facilities. I will check for an available date and then start a topic to see who would be interested.

I could arrange a venue at out church with under roof braai facilities. I will check for an available date and then start a topic to see who would be interested.

Yes please. That would be fricken awsome.

I also have a clutch derailer on my bike. Turns out my derailer is broke, my cassette is damaged, 2 spokes on the rim are bent, and my frame is damaged. Fun day out.

jeez dude, how.did you do that?

jeez dude, how.did you do that?

I wish I knew, really. Strangest thing is it happened just after I peaked the big climb. Was not even pedalling, just going downhill. Somehow the rear derailer went into the rear wheel. Serious damage was caused. I had a lot of mud on my tyres and frame. Somehow I was unlucky.

Photos of gravel travel 2014 is loaded onto the "wellington gravel travel" facebook page. This is my amateur photos and if you see yourself and want a photo then I will mail you the original photo. For free !!! Enjoy

Looking at the pics I am kinda glad I couldn't go. Last time I rode in the mud for over an hour I had way too many gear-train issues.

Crumbs. My son did some deep cleaning of his bike today and noticed the crank being quite stiff. I opened it up tonight. Bottom bracket bearings shot. Left one don't turn at all and right one very rough. New one needed. This one is a SM-BB51. I thought the bearings were sealed. Seems nothing can keep Wellington clay out.

Edited by Moridin