Do you have insurance on your bicycles?

Cellar

Insurance on Bicycles  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Do you insure your bicycle?

• Yes
    • No

My 2 bikes are insured for theft from my house only, at the total price I paid for them (both are built up). My insurer has pictures and serial numbers included as part of the full inventory I update them on regularly. For R40k worth of bikes, I pay something like R45/month.

I consider insurance prudent only for events completely outside of my control. Breaking a frame while riding doesn't fall in that category...

Edited by Martin Hattingh

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually when you combine your car and household insurance, the insurer will offer you a cheaper premium then only insuring your vehicle alone. Have a look at that! my 2cents...

I only insure what I cant afford to replace. Hence car insured. Household contents not insured. Bicycle not insured.

I'm "self insured" for those things. I save the money I would have spent on insurance and if I need to replace I do.

Usually when you combine your car and household insurance, the insurer will offer you a cheaper premium then only insuring your vehicle alone. Have a look at that! my 2cents...

Ive got my bike insured with everything else, still paying through my back side.

i didnt insure my bikes, but after having to pay for repairs caused at the sabie mudfest i will be insuring the mtb soonest!

Both bikes, shoes, helmet, glasses, Polar and Thule comprehensively insured.

Yes it is expensive but I will still have to save for a #$%@ long time to be able to self insure!

i didnt insure my bikes, but after having to pay for repairs caused at the sabie mudfest i will be insuring the mtb soonest!

So you are going to claim for a new drive train?

So you are going to claim for a new drive train?

i wont be claiming anything right now seeing as i have already repaired it and it wasnt insured at the time. the damage im referring to included the derailleur being ripped off and cracking the carbon frame

What kind of premium would one pay for comprehensive cover on a R30k DS mountain bike? I think I'm being taken for ride (no pun intended).

Edited by Polo

Insurance. Expensive when you pay the premiums. Cheap when you need it. Just make sure you read and understand the small print, e.g. exclusions, technical specs, conditions, etc.