New to road cycling

Flash055

Nothing wrong with 9, but the budget you mention should comfortably cover a good 10spd bike, possibly even a carbon one.

Like somebody else mentioned, your height and inseam don't correlate ... that's not too say that it can't be so, just be very precise with you body measurements.

Your inseam suggests a medium frame but you could also find that a small fits too depending on the geometry of the bike.

Most people can fit on 2 or more fifferent sized bikes with adjustments to the stem length, but best is to get something as close to a proper fit as possible.

Good luck and happy cycling.

Ok got myself measured correctly this morning and my inseam is 75cm. And I measure 1.8 in height. So this then points to a 52-54cm frame?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok got myself measured correctly this morning and my inseam is 75cm. And I measure 1.8 in height. So this then points to a 52-54cm frame?

That's 11cm taller than you thought you were?? 54 is the common denominator here. Also known as a medium size bike. At 1.8 you could go 54 or 56.

Measuring inseam is like so:

1. Stand up against a wall with your back to it.

2. With the spine facing up, jam a book, preferably a bigger one like a textbook, up towards your crotch until it stops.

3. Hold the book or have someone hold the book while you move and measure the distance from the floor to the top of the book.

Edited by Tubehunter

So guys, do I REALLY need a 10 speed or am I fine with nine or even eight for my first bike???

As mentioned, look for 10spd based on your budget. Am 1.78 and can ride 54-56, currently ride a 54.

So guys, do I REALLY need a 10 speed or am I fine with nine or even eight for my first bike???

Hi, I am 1.68 and ride an extra small probably a 52 maybe a bit smaller even.

Ia have a giant tcr 1 composite carbon frame excellent condition ultegra components 14k

That's 11cm taller than you thought you were?? 54 is the common denominator here. Also known as a medium size bike. At 1.8 you could go 54 or 56.

Measuring inseam is like so:

2. With the spine facing up, jam a book, preferably a bigger one like a textbook, up towards your crotch until it stops.

Geez man - JAM - really? Gently press sounds better. Edited by TALUS