The mast and a CX bike.

T-Bob

Just wondering, if many people had headed to tokai mast cyclocross bikes over the years?

Thought is would be quite a blast if I can get my hands on one.

wasn't it darren lil that did it a few years ago?

Yeah, I reckon he still holds the Strava KOM

Wasn't that set at the mast challenge? This years is the 10th of May and I remember a lot of people saying the bottom section and the gravel had changed a lot since then so could be pretty hectic now.

Edited by hellocolour

Wasn't that set at the mast challenge? This years is the 10th of May and I remember a lot of people saying the bottom section and the gravel had changed a lot since then so could be pretty hectic now.

Nah. The gravel is easy. Just the rocky-ish section just before the transition to tar (upper reaches) which could be a challenge. But not that much of a challenge if you know how to handle a bike.

Just wondering, would it make sense to carry a set of road wheels? Change and drop when you hit the tar.

Edited by Nick.

Just wondering, would it make sense to carry a set of road wheels? Change when you hit the tar.

Erm... NO!? How the feck would you get them up there? On your back? And then on the way down do you stop for 20 seconds, change them, put the old wheels on your back again (cos you can't just leave them behind) and struggle with ties and so on?

No dude. Just use CX tires. Not worth the hassle of changing them to slicks. Just get semi slicks and you;ll be golden. Or just normal CX tires. Those are good enough.

Erm... NO!? How the feck would you get them up there? On your back?

I've carried a lot worse than a wheelset on my back while on a bike. If you're going for a mast record, I'm sure you could devise a good carry method and find a buddy to guard your wheelset while you go up. Was just throwing the idea out there :P All based on the my somewhat untested idea that you'd gain more time on road tyres over CX tyres to overcome the time of the stop. Stranger things have worked though.

But then again, it's kind of cheating. You could just have a whole different bike waiting for you at the tar.

Edited by Nick.