[Event] NISSAN TrailSeeker #1 Diamond Rush

WesselvdWalt

Doing the 40k straight off the bat...never done a MTB race before and ive 120km under my belt at the moment. Started an intense training this week to get ready....should i be worried? (have done plenty of rocky off-road motorbike in kzn before)
hey Joe. Modders will help with training. Some nice uphills from the start. Also try Big Red Barn for a little technical forest stuff. Are u based in benoni?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have plenty of time to get ready, but don't fool yourself that your motorbike experience will not be of that much help. It will help you to choose the line but getting there is a whole new experience, you will be turning the ear off your grips just before you fall. I suggest that you try and ride a few trails before hand Groenkloof and Thaba Trails are viable options from Benoni. Modderfontein is also a possibility but I have no experience of it.

Appreciate that River Rat...doing modderfontein red tmrw...will see how i go...then on 24 may (week before nissan trailseeker cullinan) doing 50k loop around harties, starting at the home of the chicken pie??? mate says that its a bit of technical stuff so im assuming a good check for what i could expect...

yeah i hear you about the twisting grips LOL...picked a line the other day and then expected something to happen but then nothing...forgot i had to pedal...such a dumbass :D

hey Joe. Modders will help with training. Some nice uphills from the start. Also try Big Red Barn for a little technical forest stuff. Are u based in benoni?

hey Wez, yeah I am...at the moment i cycle to Benoni CC to do the loop there and then cycle back home....doing modderfontein tmrw and im like a kid at christmas...so excited and stoked...getting into it nicely now.

Big Red Barn? Where's that...?

hey Wez, yeah I am...at the moment i cycle to Benoni CC to do the loop there and then cycle back home....doing modderfontein tmrw and im like a kid at christmas...so excited and stoked...getting into it nicely now.

Cool. Was gonna suggest BCC... BRB is just off Olifantsfontien from R21. Can do a decent 23km loop there with some nice fast flowing tech but not alot of climbing. .. have u tried Thaba trails? Just off Kliprivier-Alberton side... some nice climbing there...

Appreciate that River Rat...doing modderfontein red tmrw...will see how i go...then on 24 may (week before nissan trailseeker cullinan) doing 50k loop around harties, starting at the home of the chicken pie??? mate says that its a bit of technical stuff so im assuming a good check for what i could expect...

yeah i hear you about the twisting grips LOL...picked a line the other day and then expected something to happen but then nothing...forgot i had to pedal...such a dumbass :D

All of us with a MotoX background suffer the same fate but the good news is that you are going to love the downhills!

Entered,half marathon for me and my friend, whoop whoop. Where can I find the route profile?

Normally those route profiles are only released a day or so before the race.

If you want to see how ready you are go to Hakahanna two weeks before the race and get in a 40 km ride there. Enough hills there to work you over. If you can handle that you will handle the Cullinan race.

It's the hills that get you.

How are the hills in the cullinan race compared to the ones in the cradle mountain trophy day 1?

Cool. Was gonna suggest BCC... BRB is just off Olifantsfontien from R21. Can do a decent 23km loop there with some nice fast flowing tech but not alot of climbing. .. have u tried Thaba trails? Just off Kliprivier-Alberton side... some nice climbing there...

Well i did modderfontein yesterday. I was on the red route until 25km then finished off on the yellow. None of the technical stuff was too difficult and ran everything. In total i did 36km at average speed of 14.9km/hr so i was pretty happy. Hills at the end definately got me, ran out of water too which wasnt very clever. At the end, my wrists and lower back were feeling it...but all in all stoked...looking forward to getting the full red route done ;) thanks for your advice...i might try thaba trails in a month or two...!!

Joe

You must go give Hakahanna a go. Now that place has something of everything. Well marked routes.

Just make sure you are running tubeless if you go ride there.

my wrists

Loosen your grip a tad - don't let go completely, but a tight grip gives you sore wrists.

lower back

Do core-work off the bike. Sit-ups, crunches, lunges, planks etc. Should help a ton in a month or two.

For this event, NISSAN TrailSeeker #1 Diamond Rush, would it be ill advised to run tubes (with slime) ? I still have the standard MAXXIS tyres with my Silverback Sola 3 and have not yet converted to tubeliss. Intend doing so when i need to replace the tyres? Any advice on tyre pressures to run for the race?

Well i did modderfontein yesterday. I was on the red route until 25km then finished off on the yellow. None of the technical stuff was too difficult and ran everything. In total i did 36km at average speed of 14.9km/hr so i was pretty happy. Hills at the end definately got me, ran out of water too which wasnt very clever. At the end, my wrists and lower back were feeling it...but all in all stoked...looking forward to getting the full red route done ;) thanks for your advice...i might try thaba trails in a month or two...!!

hey Joe. We riding tomorrow at Thaba if u keen to join? 8am

How are the hills in the cullinan race compared to the ones in the cradle mountain trophy day 1?

Cradle Mountain trophy - 1,315m ascent

Last years Diamond Rush - 1,023m ascent