Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

156km remaining from 211km

8 min gap!

With such a big time gap, José Herrada becomes the virtual maglia rosa of the Giro. He is 36th, 3:48 behind Matthews in the official overall classification.

Edited by ' Dale

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems Herada has dropped back to the peloton on orders of his Movistar team. That leaves four riders in the break of the day.

The Orica-GreenEdge team of race leader Michael Matthews is leading the chase and setting the tempo at the front of the peloton.

Panama rider Ramón Carretero (Neri Sottoli) has abandoned. His Giro is over.

It seems that there were a change in the break before the gap opened, with Nathan Haas (Garmin-Sharp) managing to get across.

With Haas in the move and not Herrada, it means there are five riders up front.

13:54:11 CEST

Today's stage cuts vertically through central Italy, with the road twisting through the forests and country roads of northern Lazio and Umbria.

The route passes to the east of Rome and then via Rieti, Spoleto and up to Foligno, which is close to the stunning hilltop town of Assisi.

Wow loving but not enjoying all the carnage that is taking place, those guys are proper tough!

What I don't get is why the don't do more in the wet stages to protect themselves when they know there is an even higher chance of crashing then normal.

What I mean by that is:

• some kind of carbon fiber (or other material) layer on the outside of the bibs over the hips
  • have some minimal cover/strap/sleeve over their knees and elbows
  • gloves (I know some ride without but def on a wet/icy stage)

Those are the areas it seems where most of the damage is done when they fall so why would they not do all they can to protect themselves.

Unfortunately for the riders it has started to rain yet again during the stage.

"We avoided the risk yesterday thanks to the great work of my teammates. It cost us a big effort but it was worth it. Things were risky because of the road traffic furniture and the roads. Today is supposed to be a more relaxed day but the rain makes every day difficult. It'd be good to have an easier day because the weekend stages are important."

Cuddles

The gap has fallen to seven minutes as the break tackles a climb in Arsoli.

cricfree.tv seems to be streaming fine :)

90kms to go, 5,35 the gap and dropping

Has there been any news on Caruso's condition? He appeared to be quite badly injured from the visuals, obviously he is out but is he okay?