Cairns World Cup #2

Stretch

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/806/derail.png

no myles dammit. dont encourage the derailment. mods should split at the personal rant. thread was good up to that point..

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Yeah, but by your own reasoning you're saying that it should only go to places with infrastructure that is ALREADY THERE. So that would have excluded all those places, if they hadn't had all the ski infrastructure there in the first place.

This is starting to sound rather familiar. It's becoming clearer.... oh, yeah! Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNqjCAy6Sg

Haha. I apologize. That's just my opinion.

Edited by Omega Man

Haha. I apologize. That's just my opinion.

Yeah dude. Don't be that guy. Not a proper DH track. Pfft. Try taking it at the same speed as some of the bottom rung guys. And no - you're wrong. Loads of people have come across to SA thanks to our hosing of the WC. Okes come out here days and weeks beforehand just to ride the other things we have to offer. So don't try and tell us that there's no "I want to ride there" feeling created just because YOU don't like the track.

No You're wrong. Les Gets, Champery, Pila, Val di Sole, Hafjel and Valnord were all once virtually unkown and used the hosting of World Cups as marketing opportunities to grow their parks.

I mean, they had ski lifts already I'm talking about places like steilte for example not that they would host a world cup....

aaaaaaanyway.

That decision still suuuucks for Gregster. But at the end of the day he shoudl have been aware of the rule. If he wasn't, there's a problem somewhere. But the track itself - WILD! And even wilder that Gee, running flats for the first time since he crawled out the cretacious, won the thing! That track was mega sketch and full of proper danger. And, like, snakes n spiders and stuff....

development of the sport in countries which dont have access to watch these events is critical. its a WORLD cup afterall, so therefore it stands to reason that the riders must face to all conditons. The locals are also hungry for it - just look at the support at cairns - reminiscent of 2009 here (or was it 2010)

What i do think should happen is that there should be 1 farout location per year - so Africa 1 year, Australasia another year and S America another year

Guest Omega Man

Yeah dude. Don't be that guy. Not a proper DH track. Pfft. Try taking it at the same speed as some of the bottom rung guys. And no - you're wrong. Loads of people have come across to SA thanks to our hosing of the WC. Okes come out here days and weeks beforehand just to ride the other things we have to offer. So don't try and tell us that there's no "I want to ride there" feeling created just because YOU don't like the track.

Easy there tiger.

I'm entitled to my opinion. It's the pinnacle of the sport and loading bikes onto trailers to be carted up the hill is regional racing. Not World Cup.

I mean, they had ski lifts already I'm talking about places like steilte for example not that they would host a world cup....

That may or may not be what Jan wants - eventually...

Guest Omega Man

Jees I don't know. In SA? I'd probly say Jonkers. It's got enough elevation I think. But then you'd be back to trailers and shuttle bakkies. To me that cheapens it. I'm sorry if that offends people but that's what I think.

And no one is going to build a lift for bikes. There's just not enough money to be made so you'd have to piggy back off of existing ski infrastructure. Which means (for the most part) Europe and N America.

Edited by Omega Man

Easy there tiger.

I'm entitled to my opinion. It's the pinnacle of the sport and loading bikes onto trailers to be carted up the hill is regional racing. Not World Cup.

Why? If there's a perfectly reasonable road up to the top, then that would be the most cost effective way - especially considering the costs of putting up a gondola / chair lift system. Yes, more trips would be better, and would go a long way to alleviate the problem that happened in Cairns and here (not enough practice runs) but to say that you can't have shuttles at WC events is just ridiculous.

In a perfect world omega man's argument wins but we live in bad economic times so building a ski lift for like 2 races is not a logical decision.

I would like omega man's argument but it's simple not logical.

Guest Omega Man

Why? If there's a perfectly reasonable road up to the top, then that would be the most cost effective way - especially considering the costs of putting up a gondola / chair lift system. Yes, more trips would be better, and would go a long way to alleviate the problem that happened in Cairns and here (not enough practice runs) but to say that you can't have shuttles at WC events is just ridiculous.

You can call it ridiculous if you like but to me it cheapens the sport and to me frankly lessens the appeal.

I can toss my bike on my truck and shuttle Steilte or any number of tracks any day of the week. I can't ride a gondola and ride a 4km track that drops 700m every day of the week. And do it 15 times a day.

But I want to. It's aspirational. DH World Cups should be aspirational. At least I think they should. I want to ride the same lifts and the same tracks that we see in the vids and the races. That's all I'm trying to say. You should take things less personally oke.

Edited by Omega Man

I bet a dh in Chile would be sick.

Anyway how do you rate Cairns (course, spirit, viewing etc)

Mik's first course preview made the course look pretty damn cool. My grip is with coverage, at Cairns and Cascades-it feels like they arent showing enough of the track and the cooler features...the only footage of the woops was that spectator nearly ending himself. I'm sure RB has their challenges when it comes to coverage but I really think they should show more of the course, even if it means it's not live racing-or maybe give the top guys 5 min gaps?

You can call it ridiculous if you like but to me it cheapens the sport and to me frankly lessens the appeal.

I can toss my bike on my truck and shuttle Steilte or any number of tracks any day of the week. I can't ride a gondola and ride a 4km track that drops 700m every day of the week. And do it 15 times a day.

But I want to. It's aspirational. DH World Cups should be aspirational. At least I think they should. I want to ride the same lifts and the same tracks that we see in the vids and the races. That's all I'm trying to say. You should take things less personally oke.

Not taking it personally at all... I just don't think that WC's should be confined to places that can afford to put gondolas and chair lifts in, at immense cost to the local community and governments, when shuttles do the job perfectly for a fraction of the cost. I'm sure Nigel and a whole bunch of others agree. And I'll defend that notion pretty voraciously.