Cairns World Cup #2

Stretch

Nice to see Mulally up there in the top 10 qualies again.....

Boom! Podium in the final......nice one.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He rode back through the tape after he went off ... so ... bummer. What a long haul for such a disappointment,

So did Rachel Atherton at the 2012 Windham World Cup, which she went on to win. There is a rule interpretation fail here.

But the biggest fail goes to that chap that decided to loan Adam Brayton's bike after Brayton nearly ended himself, and then promptly stack in spectacular fashion in the woops section.. with no protection at all.

http://youtu.be/amY7JLRgYwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7YzA0B2-7M

f'ing gnarly!

Edited by Capricorn

thats a bit rude that GM got a dsq...he hardly gained an advantage..rules really up for interpreation..they even commented on it during the commentary

as for that idiot that tried to be a hero....what a tjop

GREAT to see Ratboy up in the no 2 spot

as for that idiot that tried to be a hero....what a tjop

I read a tweet that said the tjop broke his neck.

So did Rachel Atherton at the 2012 Windham World Cup, which she went on to win. There is a rule interpretation fail here.

But the biggest fail goes to that chap that decided to loan Adam Brayton's bike after Brayton nearly ended himself, and then promptly stack in spectacular fashion in the woops section.. with no

protection at all.

f'ing gnarly!

Yoh! Commentary said it wasnt a serious injury, but watching that ragdoll footage I can believe he broke his neck.

Yoh! Commentary said it wasnt a serious injury, but watching that ragdoll footage I can believe he broke his neck.

Immediate fencing response as he lay there so he was properly concussed, though I think that's the least of his worries.

Immediate fencing response as he lay there so he was properly concussed, though I think that's the least of his worries.

but i'm sitting here thinking: sure, he was a total f'tard to go off like that. but it sure as hell made an already rivetting race even more interesting. If anybody had any desire to know what would happen if they put a mere mortal (assuming this chap is not a DHer of any note) onto a world cup level bike and told him to go race like right then and there: well there you go.

Just shows what extraordinary talents these racers are, every single one of them: from top step of the podium to those that barely made the cut.

but i'm sitting here thinking: sure, he was a total f'tard to go off like that. but it sure as hell made an already rivetting race even more interesting. If anybody had any desire to know what would happen if they put a mere mortal (assuming this chap is not a DHer of any note) onto a world cup level bike and told him to go race like right then and there: well there you go.

Just shows what extraordinary talents these racers are, every single one of them: from top step of the podium to those that barely made the cut.

Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for the poor bugger. Apparently he was taking the bike down the outside of the track to the bottom when the crowd started cheering for him to ride it on the track while it was still closed. Peer pressure is bad, kids.

I haven't read any reports on this, and that was speculation on my part, maybe there was another infringement off-camera. I remember the incident with Rachel, that was wild! she is wild! but the question was, and is, did the competitor get a competitive advantage by doing what they did?

Another factor might be is that the Aussies are seriously anal about "Rules & Regulations" in just about every aspect of life daar onder (for better or worse) although it must have been the UCI doods making this call.

Edited by kosmonooit

I haven't read any reports on this, and that was speculation on my part, maybe there was another infringement off-camera. I remember the incident with Rachel, that was wild! she is wild! but the question was, and is, did the competitor get a competitive advantage by doing what they did?

Another factor might be is that the Aussies are seriously anal about "Rules & Regulations" in just about every aspect of life daar onder (for better or worse) although it must have been the UCI doods making this call.

well, at the time, the rule was clear. if you break the course tape, you are supposed to re-enter the track at that point. The situation was considered by the race commissar who then submitted that there was no advantage. To understand how bizarre that interpretation was at the time given the clear cut nature of the rule, and the lack of hardship for Rachel to have rejoined where she exited, one just had to look at the faces of her competitors, even some of the male athletes.

IIRC, there was one exceptional circumstance to the rule, and that is if the track is very steep, making it impossible to go up and rejoin at the point of breaking the course tape. That did not apply to Rachel, and very probably to Minnaar, assuming the exit point in question is where he exited that Alien Woods section. despite the mud, he could've missioned up and re-entered at the correct point.

But you are right Kosmo: it will be interesting to see if there was another off-camera course exit that resulted in the DQ.

I'm sure someone like Nigel Hicks can weigh in here wrt the exact wording of the applicable rules.

That was an epic world cup... At least 50% of the field had an off or very close to off at some point... Hard hard work from start to finish

That crash by the Swiss Lady .. not gonna try spell her name... Was pretty heavy too.. Hope she is OK too

Edit..oh and it was wet and steepish.. can we all now give up on the one trick pony.. Aka Danny Hart

Edited by Stretch

Could not have said it better.. I was thinking the exact same thing after some reflection on the incident.. Hope the chap is ok..

Could not have said it better.. I was thinking the exact same thing after some reflection on the incident.. Hope the chap is ok..

Two broken vertebrae and a dislocated shoulder. "All fixable" in his own words when he spoke to Steve Peat. Proof that helmets are overrated, you just need knee guards (he knocked himself out when his head hit his knee)

Edited by Rata Del Spruit