Serious crashes on the Spruit today

Tjokkits

Scout Hall is in Bryanston, downstream from Ballyclare bridge but upstream from the low bridge that you go past. At the end of Grosvenor Rd.

post-4091-0-92502200-1399929553_thumb.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to say as a noob I have found it quite easy to stay out of trouble on the spruit. Jumps seem pretty clear and the lips that are on the main route are definitely rollable. Don't know if I have hit the bomb hole or not, can't place it or why it looks like. Only ridden the spruit twice though

Scout Hall is in Bryanston, downstream from Ballyclare bridge but upstream from the low bridge that you go past. At the end of Grosvenor Rd.

Thanks. Got it now. I seldom go further north than the Pick n Pay at William Nichol.

Have to say as a noob I have found it quite easy to stay out of trouble on the spruit. Jumps seem pretty clear and the lips that are on the main route are definitely rollable. Don't know if I have hit the bomb hole or not, can't place it or why it looks like. Only ridden the spruit twice though

Welcome to the Hub Ryan. Yet another Rugby player make the transition.

The Bombhole can be found just below Old Park's sports grounds (Bordeaux). When heading downstream (north) between Jan Smuts and Republic, the bombhole is on the right (next to the waterfall) . It is a bowled out descent with 2 jump exits (the tamer of the 2 being on the right). There is also a B-line with a more gradual descent (and no jump exit) on the left of the bombhole. Shortly after the bombhole there is a concrete bridge crossing the spruit to the hulringham side.

Guideline for the bombhole... if one wants to jump the bigger of the 2 exit jumps, they should start off by going slower than they think. Basically tip in from the edge of the descent and brake a bit. They will not clear the jump, but gently land on top. This will however give them a feel for the lip. As they practice and gain confidence and stability, they will be able to drop in a little faster and work the jump more until they clear it.

Despite what many think, it is a safe jump. Those that have had accidents there likely did so because they

• A, went in too fast,
  • B, were not accustomed to the feel of the lip,
  • C, froze in the air (we call this a 'dead sailor' due to the fact that one 'sails' sideways out of control), or
  • D, a combination of the above.

Remeber the golden rules of MTBing. Look ahead (not down at your strava or HRM). And if you're unsure, walk it first. There are no "man points" for blindly trying something out of your capability and offing yourself. Only Darwin awards.

Edited by patches

Shortly after the bombhole there is a concrete bridge crossing the spruit to the hulringham side.

Ah yes, thanks. The bridge is after the bombhole if you're headed north. Now I remember. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Did spruit today for the first time in ages. Seems a lot of the hazardous stuff has been made safer. Big up to the folks involved. The slippery rock I mentioned is still wet at the moment but has a stepping stone cemented in the ridge now. The place I call Pipe Creek (dip through the tributary with pipe running alongside near field and study) has been smoothed out and is far less rutted. Enjoyed the bombhole today too, albeit on the right-hand line. I see that left-hand side is looking pretty pointy for the airborne stuff - nice!

• 4 weeks later...

...so it was bound to happen. My luck and talent ran out.

I had a little dirt nap on the log jump by virgin active. I came up short. Cased on the logs. And went over the bars.

I am now trying to find who was responsible for building the jump so I can send them hate mail and threats of lawyers letters. How irresponsible of them to build a jump like that.

I mean, seriously, how can they build a something on the spruit that's only intended to be ridden one way?!

:lol:

Note to others: The Virgin Gym Jump is a LOT harder to jump backwards (using the landing as a launch and the launch as a landing)! :wacko:

Note to self: Don't let that Patches guy tell you it's not possible. Try again! What could possibly go wrong :ph34r:

Fortunately no serious injury. Just a bruised ego, burped tyre, and a lot of laughs (I was the first to laugh as I picked myself up and dusted off)

...so it was bound to happen. My luck and talent ran out.

I had a little dirt nap on the log jump by virgin active. I came up short. Cased on the logs. And went over the bars.

I am now trying to find who was responsible for building the jump so I can send them hate mail and threats of lawyers letters. How irresponsible of them to build a jump like that.

I mean, seriously, how can they build a something on the spruit that's only intended to be ridden one way?!

:lol:

Note to others: The Virgin Gym Jump is a LOT harder to jump backwards (using the landing as a launch and the launch as a landing)! :wacko:

Note to self: Don't let that Patches guy tell you it's not possible. Try again! What could possibly go wrong :ph34r:

Fortunately no serious injury. Just a bruised ego, burped tyre, and a lot of laughs (I was the first to laugh as I picked myself up and dusted off)

Need to put some no entry signs up from the wrong way :lol:

Everyone is going to bail at some point. You just have to hope consequences are minimal.

I ramped it backwards on my 29er Rigid SS just the other day, but it was easier because I was clipped in so I could bunny hop the gap.

Hey spruit rats,

I saw something quite comical on Thursday and I was wondering if this is someone you guys know - I was introducing a mate of mine to the spruit for his first ride there. We were on our return leg north from Emmerentia to just before the N3 near Cowley road. I hear this muffled gangsta music ahead like it's coming out of a suped-up low rider cruising towards me. I look around but there's nothing. Then I notice this youngster on a bike coming towards me on the trail from the opposite direction. White rims, seat as low as it can go...just cruisin'. At this point the "music" is pumping out as he rides past me and I realise that it's coming from his backpack. Whatever was in there was outputting some serious watts, brah! :D

I thought he was quite a brave dude for advertising his system on the spruit like that. Definitely looked like he was more geared up for some aerial-type manoeuvres as opposed to anything xc enduro.

I did a Breedts Nek ride a while back and had exactly the same thing happen. I'm riding along enjoying the quiet when suddenly there's this heavy bass getting louder and louder, I thought it must be a taxi parked somewhere along the road but then 3 guys come into view riding towards me and one of them also has his "sound system" in his Camel Bak. Pretty impressive sounds from something so small but I'm seriously glad I was cycling in the opposite direction and not behind them all the way with their music going :)

Edited by Tractor

I did a Breedts Nek ride a while back and had exactly the same thing happen. I'm riding along enjoying the quiet when suddenly there's this heavy bass getting louder and louder, I thought it must be a taxi parked somewhere along the road but then 3 guys come into view riding towards me and one of them also has his "sound system" in his Camel Bak. Pretty impressive sounds from something so small but I'm seriously glad I was cycling in the opposite direction and not behind them all the way with their music going :)

Hey spruit rats,

I saw something quite comical on Thursday and I was wondering if this is someone you guys know - I was introducing a mate of mine to the spruit for his first ride there. We were on our return leg north from Emmerentia to just before the N3 near Cowley road. I hear this muffled gangsta music ahead like it's coming out of a suped-up low rider cruising towards me. I look around but there's nothing. Then I notice this youngster on a bike coming towards me on the trail from the opposite direction. White rims, seat as low as it can go...just cruisin'. At this point the "music" is pumping out as he rides past me and I realise that it's coming from his backpack. Whatever was in there was outputting some serious watts, brah! :D

I thought he was quite a brave dude for advertising his system on the spruit like that. Definitely looked like he was more geared up for some aerial-type manoeuvres as opposed to anything xc enduro.

Hahaha, doesn't sound like anyone we know.

But on a serious note, thanks for informing us that a rival bicycle gang is moving into the territory. we best up our game and prepare for some dance-offs. from the sounds of it, they are well prepared already :lol: