tokai is burning

Shebeen

sorry if this has already been discussed in the mamba thread, didn't think of looking in there (and let's be honest, this is probably going to be a hot topic for a long time, so deserves its own thread)

I like what you did there :clap: :clap:

Guest OldFlow

Kindly back that up, will you?

There is a longer, more complicated story involved.... I'm not prepared to break trust to spell things out here but let's just say I have pretty interesting evidence that SANP are in no hurry to stick to their own rehabilitation policies on the higher (than the lower rehab area) reaches of Tokai. The potential damage is mounting and mounting while the feasibility of the purported seedbed is diminishing all the time.

A whole lot of fiddling going on while Rome burns.....

Edited by OldFlow

Heard a news report of Chappies also being closed due to the removal of alien vegetation - related?

Heard a news report of Chappies also being closed due to the removal of alien vegetation - related?

No link between the 2 things Dale.

it effectively prevents an uncontrolled burn, by getting rid of the residual fire-prone material left from logging. If it weren't burnt, it'd be a tinder box, and it's not going to be replanted with more pine.

I'm not even a Botanist / Ecologisat and I understand this and reasons offered...why the debate??

Fynbos NEEDS burning!! The frequency is the important factor...

There is a longer, more complicated story involved.... I'm not prepared to break trust to spell things out here but let's just say I have pretty interesting evidence that SANP are in no hurry to stick to their own rehabilitation policies on the higher (than the lower rehab area) reaches of Tokai. The potential damage is mounting and mounting while the feasibility of the purported seedbed is diminishing all the time.

so why would they also burn at Cape Point then? If there is this conspiracy theory...

I think it is just part of their bigger plans re: burn strategy

This is a rather serious allegation, because it goes directly to the core of the SANParks mandate, which is firstly the conservation of our biodiversity. I understand your reluctance to give details, but I do hope someone will back this up with facts and detail.

I also dislike the "fiddling"........

Guest OldFlow

I'm not even a Botanist / Ecologisat and I understand this and reasons offered...why the debate??

Fynbos NEEDS burning!! The frequency is the important factor...

Not sure what debate you are referring to? There is certainly no debate against a burn being needed.

The ongoing problem is that this needs to happen soon after logging. It hasn't happened yet and the aliens are taking over at an accelerated rate like we've never before seen in Tokai. The past three months particularly have seen a massive proliferation of these invader species. The longer the situation continues, the more difficult it becomes to keep it in check and eventually rehabilitate the area.

Guest OldFlow

This is a rather serious allegation, because it goes directly to the core of the SANParks mandate, which is firstly the conservation of our biodiversity. I understand your reluctance to give details, but I do hope someone will back this up with facts and detail.

I also dislike the "fiddling"........

Jakes for a beer and sliders sometime? ;)

P.S. - The whole situation has been described as a "cock-up" by someone waaaaay more credible than me :whistling:

Jakes for a beer and sliders sometime? ;)

P.S. - The whole situation has been described as a "cock-up" by someone waaaaay more credible than me :whistling:

I believe SANParks received the same email

Guest OldFlow

I believe SANParks received the same email

Koerek...

The PR spin reason given by SANP on the face of it holds no water either - how can post burn follow up alien eradication be the issue when the pre-burn alien infestation is seemingly an even bigger problem. No fresh fynbos growth therefore more aliens out of control. Very much a case of fiddling while our home trails burn.

This and SANPs recent attempt to justify curtailing night activity on the mountain as well as ticketing hapless harmless swimmers at the dam next to the Rhodes Mem access road leave me with little faith in SANP.

Not sure what debate you are referring to? There is certainly no debate against a burn being needed.

The ongoing problem is that this needs to happen soon after logging. It hasn't happened yet and the aliens are taking over at an accelerated rate like we've never before seen in Tokai. The past three months particularly have seen a massive proliferation of these invader species. The longer the situation continues, the more difficult it becomes to keep it in check and eventually rehabilitate the area.

Ok, we are on the same page then...

I'll accept your arguement about the need for burn after logging...as well as your info that all is not kosher in SANPARKS...I know.....as well....