[Event] PHILADELPHIA MTB

Annemart

Max HR 185

Avg HR 165 3h43

That was redline for my age group but just not good enough sadly.

More time in the saddle it is

Edited by CapeLandy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell just happened?

You can tell that a farmer set that route. It's like he attached a GPS to a cow, let it roam around for a day and then said "that's our route".

It's not that it wasn't well marked, but you can mark a route like that as well as you want, but people will still definitely get lost. I rate the search and rescue teams will be out late tonight.

That being said, I still enjoyed it for some reason. Something different.

Oh, and THORNS!

I would like to reply on Rydogg's comment on the Philadelphia MTB event. I am the farmer who laid out that route together with a lot of other people. It is quite a job to lay out a route which is not only fun to ride on but also give each and everyone the opportunity to see our beautiful rural farming area. We want to give people an insight into what we do and where we do it and make our farms available to people who can not see this area everyday. We will obviously make mistakes and everyone is more than welcome to tell us about it so that we can make this event not only better but the best in its class. You would be surprised to see how a community that does not only consist of farmers work together to make a success of this event. It is just when people like you make such a unnecessarily comment about the route and the farmers that it is difficult to motivate these people to make their farms available for the next event. I really hope that the rest of the cycling community can help you with your arrogance before the people who make these events possible just stop bothering with all the hassles of organizing these events.

Thanks Copperhead. I am fully aware of the markings that can improve. I suppose they will never be enough. I have no problem with criticism with the event, but this guy made it personal to me as a farmer. Unfortunately it is such people that have the potential to mes up a very good intention. For the rest of you......see you again next year.

I thought it was a fantastic race. First time I have done 60km, and had loads of fun. All the effort that is put into organizing the race is much appreciated!!

The solution is to send any of these people to England where you can't race on public land and no farmers will open their land up so we hve no marathons...

I would like to reply on Rydogg's comment on the Philadelphia MTB event. I am the farmer who laid out that route together with a lot of other people. It is quite a job to lay out a route which is not only fun to ride on but also give each and everyone the opportunity to see our beautiful rural farming area. We want to give people an insight into what we do and where we do it and make our farms available to people who can not see this area everyday. We will obviously make mistakes and everyone is more than welcome to tell us about it so that we can make this event not only better but the best in its class. You would be surprised to see how a community that does not only consist of farmers work together to make a success of this event. It is just when people like you make such a unnecessarily comment about the route and the farmers that it is difficult to motivate these people to make their farms available for the next event. I really hope that the rest of the cycling community can help you with your arrogance before the people who make these events possible just stop bothering with all the hassles of organizing these events.

Thank you for all your effort!!!

There are a lot of us who appreciate it. Mountain biking isn't meant to be about perfectly manicured tracks, unfortunately that's what a lot of people are used to.

This one had a bit of everything and that made it a good challenge.

Also a big thank you from my side for the event. Very well organised, and quite a nice atmosphere before and after. Like other said, route markings can improve, and some of us heavier okes found the sand quite tough,maybe a little bit less of that particular section. we sink into it rather than float on top. Otherwise, well done, and we will see you next year.

Could you guys please give us an idea of what parts of the route you would like to see more and what parts less. I know the sand was a bit tough but could you be more exact on where this sand was.

The sand piece next to the river was very long and everybody in the midfield with me pushed that section.

+1 please don't take one extreme view to represent the masses. Every single race on here will have positive and negative comments. I loved the race, even though I had monumental thorn issues and I am not a fan of sand, and my shocks failed, and my wheel buckled. (Yes it was an adventure) Given the time of year that the race was, and the layout, it is a perfect course to start of on a longer than 60km race, and I have told all my mates who still do the short races that it is a lovely route. Not everyone needs a massively technical race to enjoy it.

Thank you for your efforts!

Could you guys please give us an idea of what parts of the route you would like to see more and what parts less. I know the sand was a bit tough but could you be more exact on where this sand was.

This is a MOUNTAINBIKE race, is it not??

My advise to you is, LEAVE IT AS IT IS. This race (I did the 40km) is perfect with the mix of the climbs, single track, and "tweespoor paaidjies". I do not think you must tamper with this by sanitising it too much. It tests your skill without breaking you or your bike.

To the detractors, follow Rule # 5, and HTFU. The more mtb races you do, the better you will become at it. :whistling:

We did the 65km, was nice and tough. My only gripe was some of the marking, otherwise it was great. Perhaps you could also look at chalk arrows on the ground? The marking was good up till the last 20km where is got a little vague. The sandy stuff next to the river was great, it was tough and should pack down with some rain.

Thank you for the effort, we do appreciate it.

Hi JEDLO

I would like to THANK YOU for a awesome route. THANK YOU to you and the other farmers for opening your farmland to US. I did the 63km and enjoyed it.

Like Wannabe said.....This is a MOUNTAINBIKE race, is it not??

Thanks Therence

Hi guys. I did the 40km and enjoy the race very much. The whole event from the start to finish was great and i had so much fun along the route with all the people involved with the event. Friendly and very spontanious organisers and everybody involved. Rydogg comments can really be ignored. Thank you to all the people who made the race possible and LEAVE IT AS IS - route and sand. Was nice challenge and this is why i take part in the sport of MTB. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR on the 60km!!

Was a great race (63km) what little I saw of it, even though I crashed 17km in. Broken hanger, thank goodness for Lewis stores delivery van driving past, saved me from a long walk.

Edited by FatBoySlim1