Night riding light

Muggins

I'm doing my first night ride tomorrow evening.

I have one of these lights for my bike. I think the specs say 80 lumens.

I bought it for riding to gym in winter when it was dark. It works fine for that but I'm thinking I need a brighter unit for MTB night trail rides.

Any suggestions.

Is it advisable to also have a head lamp unit in addition to the bike one. I think it could be disorientating to only have one on the bike.

Thanks.

post-49211-0-96124600-1398345682_thumb.jpg

^ ^ ^

What he said!

I have an extreme light which I have used for 18 months with zero issues that has beat my every expectation.

The most annoying part is the maid has packed it away somewhere and I have turned the place upside down trying to find it again to no avail. I predict a new purchase from Hannes at extreme lights rather soon...

Edited by Tubehunter

2 Lights are much better than one but if only one then on the helmet is better than the handlebar.

Something with many lumens (1200+) and a wide beam on the handlebar and then the lightweight Ryder Orion (800 lumens) for on the helmet is what I am thinking of getting.

My 1000 lumen light from Extreme Lights works fantastically on and off road. It has a bright centre spot, surrounded by a diffused 'halo'. I wouldn't go with anything less than 1000 lumen though.

Had a look at the Extremelights website.

Seems like the Extreme 2K is a good option for the handle bars.

Now to decide what to put on the helmet or head.

Ryder Centauri is very good. 1000 lumens and long battery life. I have heard of many people having problems with extreme lights battery life.

Ryder Centauri is very good. 1000 lumens and long battery life. I have heard of many people having problems with extreme lights battery life.

That's an interesting perspective. Got some specific info you can shed on the statement I have put in bold?

Hannes from extreme lights is a regular contributor to this forum, so it would be useful for him to know this and address that.

I have not had battery life issues with mine on any of my rides. I use mine for sub 3hour rides in the early morning or night time.

Edited by Tubehunter

I have the Magicshine MJ880, is 2000 Lumens at 100%. I can tell you it is plenty bright enough

Agreed that a headlight would also be useful, especially when navigating twisting singletrack.

You certainly want a very bright light for nightime MTB rides.

I went past cycle lab fourways this morning.

I was looking on their shelves at lights and the furthest they shone was 5 meters.

The salesman then saw me and asked what I wanted. He then took me off to the lock up cabinet lights.

At this point I knew there was problems because the shelf ones were R 899.00 being the most expensive.

I ended up going with a Magicshine MJ-880U 2200LM ultimate edition.

I will see how it works tonight.

I would have gone with Extremelights but I could not wait for the delivery. I only found out about the night race on Wednesday night.

Anyone familiar with this light.

post-49211-0-37777600-1398415302_thumb.jpg

I went past cycle lab fourways this morning.

I was looking on their shelves at lights and the furthest they shone was 5 meters.

The salesman then saw me and asked what I wanted. He then took me off to the lock up cabinet lights.

At this point I knew there was problems because the shelf ones were R 899.00 being the most expensive.

I ended up going with a Magicshine MJ-880U 2200LM ultimate edition.

I will see how it works tonight.

I would have gone with Extremelights but I could not wait for the delivery. I only found out about the night race on Wednesday night.

Anyone familiar with this light.

Thats the same light I have, I thought it was 2000 Lumen, but mine is also the Ultimate Edition so is 2200.

Its a very good light and very bright, try and mount it as close to the centre of your bars as possible otherwise you will land up with it shining at a slight angle with your bar sweep angle and the other side will have a noticeable darker edge due to the angle of the light unit. I have made a little mod on my bars so that the light sits straight.