Schwalbe Tyre issue

quickdraw

Just washed the bike and it looks like a section if the sidewall is peeling (not sure if it is from the sidewall scraping something) - the thing is there appears to be other Schwalbe branding underneath?

Anyone else seen this before?

post-3382-0-02699100-1399722032_thumb.jpg

I have seen that and I am fully aware of how you are feeling, the same thing has happened to my tyre. Brand new tyre. Nobby Nic Snakeskin, Evo, pacestar compund, TLR. I do not know what to tell you hey.

Mine has only been getting worse. Its like I am waiting for something to blow or pop or show its face. I've been in contact with the online shop from which I bought my tyre. They also reported that they do not know what's the cause/issue/ or what lies in the the tyres future. I can only say that the guys I bought from dod make contact with who I can only assume to be Schwalbe who said they do not know what's up and it never happened before.

Communication and finding a way forward to this matter has been a very slow process, but it does feel like I am getting somewhere... Slowly.

I do have a bit of dissapointment in the product I bought, as tyres don't come cheap and this is definately not what I expected when forking out cash.

I know the tyre is ridable, but for how long.. That's my concern.

My advice is for you to take it up with the guys you bought it from, they will send you and themselves on a run around mission and it will take some time.

I did feel like doing a name and shame, but then opt'd to give the shop a chance to clear their name and hopefully help me out or something.

I wish you all the best hey..

It looks like the branding was not correct and they sprayed some kind of rubber over it and rebranded.

I hope that's the case, but if so, then surely Schwalbe should know about it. And inform the customer when inquires are made. Which in my case... Nothing of this was mentioned.It looks like a huge patch, which peels off..

Got a Nobby Nic that is doing the same. Seems to just be a additional cosmetic coating that is coming off.

I'm not worried by it

Yep, definitely looks like a cosmetic coating (probably to change the branding) - the inners are 100s - thought it might the snakeskin peeling but I have no idea how the tyre itself is put together.

Taahir: i can understand your disappoint with the peeling, but I can honestly say that the branding does not form any part of the support structure of the tyre. I would be more worried if the tyre started delaminating and bubbles start forming on the top cap or sidewalls. That's a structural issue worthy of some concern, and i moderate concern by saying some because not all bubbles imply imminent failure of the tire. Its pay attention and treat as required.

But to you and the OP: post it up on Facebook and ask them what the hell is going on. Use words like rebranded, recycled, counterfeit etc...should nudge them in the HurryUp&Answer direction ;)

Edited by Capricorn

Taahir: i can understand your disappoint with the peeling, but I can honestly say that the branding does not form any part of the support structure of the tyre. I would be more worried if the tyre started delaminating and bubbles start forming on the top cap or sidewalls. That's a structural issue worthy of concern.

But to you and the OP: post it up on Facebook and ask them what the h ell is going on. Use words like rebranded, recycled, counterfeit etc...should nudge them in the HurryUp&Answer direction ;)

Mine is doing exactly that........ the bubble on the top cap. It can be at the most 4 months old. Not really in my budget to buy new tyres again. :thumbdown:

Mine is doing exactly that........ the bubble on the top cap. It can be at the most 4 months old. Not really in my budget to buy new tyres again. :thumbdown:

I had one of those, but pretty big. if you running tubeless with sealant. burst it rather have it burst on your while riding. the sealant will fill it up if it hasn't already accumulated in the bubble.

Whether it's structural or cosmetic definitely some kind of reject, that cannot be the standard way they make the tyre, would be a waste of money. Looks like they maybe decided to change the branding/logo on the side wall and coated over the original print and then they reprinted the lettering, all good for them to do that but it mustn't come peeling off.

I'd say whether the reject is cosmetic or structural that peeling is grounds for a warranty replacement, especially seeing it's not just one person who's experienced it - tyres are expensive , they are put on expensive bikes and you expect them to look the part/be presentable. It's fine to sell a customer a slightly reject item if they are informed of such and it's sold at a reduced price but it's not fine if no one tells you it's reject and you pay the normal price.

Edited by Skylark