NEED ADVICE: Merida Big nine 99 XT-M

BIG 99

Will a Merida big nine 99 XT-M full suspension ( Dt Swiss shock M212 ) be strong enough for me and give me comfortable enough ride me weighing 125 kg I want to upgrade from my hard tail

Some specs below

Fork

32 Float 29 CTD O/C- Evolution 100 Taper

Shock

DT M212 38 ABS w/Remote

Derailleur Front

Shimano Deore XT high direct Triple

Derailleur Rear

Shimano Deore XT

Shifter

Shimano Deore XT -3 / -10

Brake Lever

attached

Brake

Shimano SLX 180/180 mm

Chainwheel

Shimano Deore XT 42-32-24

Guest Karma

Most important feature to look at is not listed, the wheels.

The biggest factor to consider is the wheelset. Find out whether the stock wheels have a weight limit (or search it on the internet) and if they do, ask what the bike shop would charge to swop out for a wheelset with no weight limit.

A "big" friend of mine had catastrophic wheel failure (he weighed about 135kg at the time, now he's about 110kg) during a race. They guy's front wheel decided to give up while he was in the middle of some rocky singletrack. Apart from serious injury, the manufacturer would not honour a warrantee claim because he exceeded the 230lbs (about 104 kg) weight limit for the wheels. The shop shrugged their shoulders when he pointed out to them that he mentioned his weight when buying the bike too, so he had to fork out for a new wheelset and find another bike shop in the process too.

I think the rims are the thing you should keep in mind when asking whether strong enough. the standard rims are usually pretty strong, but quite heavy. Which wheels does it come with?

Edit: took too long to type... they beat me to it.

Edited by dre

I would also check the suspension/manufacturer specs for any weight limits on the dual-susp (front and rear).

A BIG (180kg) mate of mine was advised to get a hardtail, as no dual-susp on earth could handle his weight.

There is a "clyde" (as in the BIG horse) forum on mtbr.com - go check it out. Most posts say that 300lbs/135kgs SHOULD be ok...

I think the rims are the thing you should keep in mind when asking whether strong enough. the standard rims are usually pretty strong, but quite heavy. Which wheels does it come with?

Edit: took too long to type... they beat me to it.

At 125 KG, I don't think that the OP will be a weight weenie. Big fellas need stronger stuff.

At 125 KG, I don't think that the OP will be a weight weenie. Big fellas need stronger stuff.

How fat are you?

What do you ride?

How fat are you?

What do you ride?

Im not fat at all just a big Guy and losing weight

Ive been riding the merida big nine 900 hard tail for 2 years

You might want to consider larger rotors on your brakes depending on what type of riding you do.

Im not fat at all just a big Guy and losing weight

Ive been riding the merida big nine 900 hard tail for 2 years

I know you weigh 125kg as you said in your original post

I was asking Vetseun how fat he is

The biggest factor to consider is the wheelset. Find out whether the stock wheels have a weight limit (or search it on the internet) and if they do, ask what the bike shop would charge to swop out for a wheelset with no weight limit.

A "big" friend of mine had catastrophic wheel failure (he weighed about 135kg at the time, now he's about 110kg) during a race. They guy's front wheel decided to give up while he was in the middle of some rocky singletrack. Apart from serious injury, the manufacturer would not honour a warrantee claim because he exceeded the 230lbs (about 104 kg) weight limit for the wheels. The shop shrugged their shoulders when he pointed out to them that he mentioned his weight when buying the bike too, so he had to fork out for a new wheelset and find another bike shop in the process too.

Rim Mavic Crossride Disc 29 [R12] Freewheel Shimano CS-HG62-10 11-36 Tire Maxxis Crossmark 29er 2.1 fold Handlebar Merida Pro OS Flat, 680 mm Handlebar Stem Merida Pro K OS, -16° Headset FSA No.55E

Most important feature to look at is not listed, the wheels.

Rim Mavic Crossride Disc 29 [R12] Freewheel Shimano CS-HG62-10 11-36 Tire Maxxis Crossmark 29er 2.1 fold Handlebar Merida Pro OS Flat, 680 mm Handlebar Stem Merida Pro K OS, -16° Headset FSA No.55E

I am now on ZTR Arch EX rims as i now fall in to the big fella/weight limit category. There are lots of good rims out there but the build also matters. Straight spokes on the ones you want strong and a good builder.

The reason i think everyone is going on about wheels is because as i have noticed, its this area that the manufacturers skimp on to reduce the price, and as the post says, it they fail you have a big get off. So lots of bikes that look well specced have cheap rims. There were some horrendous photos on the hub of Scott and other brands whose rims pretzel at the first sign of a big drop off.

The bike is cool otherwise. But pay attention to wheels as a big guy. I bent a set of ZTR Arch rims in 6 months, which was totally predictable.

You might want to consider larger rotors on your brakes depending on what type of riding you do.

Aah yes. Another thing i did. Cheapest and best upgrade ever. 180mm rotor front at least. 180mm rear is a bit overkill, but great when going downhill.

Guest Karma

Maximum rider weight Mavic wheels:

Mavic Deemax Ultimate 26 115 Kg

Mavic Crossmax SLR 26 85 Kg

Mavic Crossmax SLR 29 85 Kg

Mavic Crossmax ST 26 100 Kg

Mavic Crossmax ST 29 100 Kg

Mavic Crosstrail 26 100 Kg

Mavic Crossone 29 100 Kg

Mavic Crossone 27,5 100 Kg

Mavic Crossride 29 100 Kg

Mavic Crossride 27,5 100 Kg