Are new Hubs worth the money

LegsEleven

retension the cones to the proper pressure (finger tight)

Is that a fact armpies? I have just replaced my freehub and tightened them up with 2 Allen keys to a point where I was not forcing them.... but will still need the Allen keys to untighten.... my q is.. Am i not going to stuff them up by tightening them harder than finger tight?

Is that a fact armpies? I have just replaced my freehub and tightened them up with 2 Allen keys to a point where I was not forcing them.... but will still need the Allen keys to untighten.... my q is.. Am i not going to stuff them up by tightening them harder than finger tight?

I don't know for absolute sure, but I have had times where I've hamfistedly over tightened bearings and they go pop.

Plus, it all depends how tight you can get them with your fingers. I've tightened things "finger tight" where others have to use an allen key to get them undone again, so it's all relative...

Sounds to me like you are looking for something to spend money on, and those bucks are burning a hole in your pocket.

How much you got?

What you are saying about hubs and group sets doesn't make sense in terms of actual upgrades that make the bike better to ride. Unless they are broken or worn out or really basic.

On an existing bike, wheels i.e. total wheel set, makes a difference. Forks are also very important. So are tires and whether you are tubeless But as long as your raw materials are good Otherwise admit you want to get some bling toys and stop looking for technical justification for the upgrades. Make yourself happy by buying a new computer or a GPS based computer etc, or some new glasses.

But if you are riding an old clunker then rather buy a new bike. Upgrading piecemeal doesnt make economic sense

I have a few upgrades are the cards at the moment, one of them being new brakes. The bike currently has Elixer 3 on and I find them less than adequate.

I dont have much spare cash burning a hole, im just working on progressive upgrades to make a better overall package over time that suits my riding style and what works for me.

I didnt have a funds when i bought the bike to buy the latest and greatest parts so I decided to do it as a gradual build to bring it up to a better spec.

What hubs are you referring to?

Shimano hubs use loose ball bearings and need to be tightened enough to hold everything together but loose enough to allow them to spin freely.

What hubs are you referring to?

Shimano hubs use loose ball bearings and need to be tightened enough to hold everything together but loose enough to allow them to spin freely.

ja no..i was being stupid...i was referring to the QR caps

Unless they are stuffed, replacing hubs (but not spokes or rims) is possibly the least bang for your upgrade buck you can buy. Replacing wheels, possibly the most....

I'd say if anything rather upgrade the wheels completely as a set and then sell the old set to help fund the upgrade.

I had a bike in medium which was too small, ended up getting the exact same bike in large which I bought complete as it was easier that way. The build was almost identical except the medium had entry level WTB Rims on Deore Hubs and the large had Ztr Flows on Hope Pro 2 hubs.

The difference in rolling resistance/general bike flow was astounding, can't recommend getting a decent wheel set more, whether it's wise to upgrade your current bike or not I can't say but a good wheel set is amazing. As someone pointed out to me at the time, the things that make some of the most difference to a bike are the parts in constant motion ie wheels and tyres.

Thanks for the feed back, think im going to pass on this upgrade. would rather put the money towards a 2X10 conversion, currently on a 3X10. 30 gears is far to much choice in my opinion.

Seems like the upgrade bug has bitten you.

Spend wisely on the following and you will notice an improvement.

1. Grips. Most overlooked thing on most people's bikes.

2. Tubeless conversion with good tyres. You will lose a little bit of rotational mass and will feel the difference.

3. Good quality saddle. Obviously your ass will thank you later.

4. Bike fitting if you haven't had that done. Will make the biggest difference.

I have a few upgrades are the cards at the moment, one of them being new brakes. The bike currently has Elixer 3 on and I find them less than adequate.

Nothing wrong with Elixir 3's as far as power goes. If they're not working for you make sure they are bled properly, or if they really are too weak for you maybe get a bigger rotor up front.

Seems like the upgrade bug has bitten you.

Spend wisely on the following and you will notice an improvement.

1. Grips. Most overlooked thing on most people's bikes.

2. Tubeless conversion with good tyres. You will lose a little bit of rotational mass and will feel the difference.

3. Good quality saddle. Obviously your ass will thank you later.

4. Bike fitting if you haven't had that done. Will make the biggest difference.

Hi Maxxis

Thank you very much for the response. I have done all of the above and they made the world of difference, especially the saddle.

Guest EdEdEd

when I pedal, the bike moves in a forwardly direction

Sounds like you have some awesome hubs there! :thumbup: