Are new Hubs worth the money

LegsEleven

Good day fellow hubbers

Iv been browsing the net lately for some upgrades for my BMC TeamElite TE2 29er. One of them being a new set of hubs.

The bike currently has bottom of the range Shimano hubs and they seem to be working fine (when I pedal, the bike moves in a forwardly direction).

So I was wondering if upgrading them is worth spending the few thousand rand on, i.e do thay make that much of a difference ?.

From the beginning of June I will be doing a lot more riding in preperation for a multi day ride in September. I will also be doing as many races as possible in that period.

Thanks.

Good day fellow hubbers

Iv been browsing the net lately for some upgrades for my BMC TeamElite TE2 29er. One of them being a new set of hubs.

The bike currently has bottom of the range Shimano hubs and they seem to be working fine (when I pedal, the bike moves in a forwardly direction).

So I was wondering if upgrading them is worth spending the few thousand rand on, i.e do thay make that much of a difference ?.

From the beginning of June I will be doing a lot more riding in preperation for a multi day ride in September. I will also be doing as many races as possible in that period.

Thanks.

Nope. If they're not broken, or you're not building a new wheelset, then stay with what you have and just remember to service them regularly. Service them means take them apart, regrease and retension the cones to the proper pressure (finger tight)

Good day fellow hubbers

Thanks.

Keep your money safe and ride those hubs till they can't go anymore then you buy a wheel set.

Changing the hubs will mean new spokes (if built properly) and also paying a decent wheel builder to do the job and even them you won't feel much of an improvement.

I was thinking of doing the whole wheel sets but that will cost lots of Mandelas.

I dont think the hubs i have on now are Free hubs (I think thats the correct term) as they dont make that clicking/humming sound when i free wheel.

Is that what a hub should sound like ?

I was thinking of doing the whole wheel sets but that will cost lots of Mandelas.

I dont think the hubs i have on now are Free hubs (I think thats the correct term) as they dont make that clicking/humming sound when i free wheel.

Any wheel that is not a 1 gear fixie runs on a free hub ,they all make different sounds too.

Thanks for the feed back, think im going to pass on this upgrade. would rather put the money towards a 2X10 conversion, currently on a 3X10. 30 gears is far to much choice in my opinion.

FreeHub refers to a hub that spins freely in one direction - one that allows you to FREEwheel. So as Wyatt says, it's all hubs apart from Fixed Gear / Fixie specific hubs.

Thanks for the feed back, think im going to pass on this upgrade. would rather put the money towards a 2X10 conversion, currently on a 3X10. 30 gears is far to much choice in my opinion.

when I had three up front I'd sit in the middle all day long, when I had a 2x set up I kept shifting between the two, found it a little annoying.....

I had the same hubs. Got some superstar hubs and it has saved me some grams and I can honestly feel that I'm rolling faster and smoother.

when I had three up front I'd sit in the middle all day long, when I had a 2x set up I kept shifting between the two, found it a little annoying.....

Im experiencing the same thing on my 3X10 at the moment, is one of the rings on your 2X10 the same size as your middle one was on your 3X10

I had the same hubs. Got some superstar hubs and it has saved me some grams and I can honestly feel that I'm rolling faster and smoother.

May I enquire what you paid for them ?

Sounds to me like you are looking for something to spend money on, and those bucks are burning a hole in your pocket.

How much you got?

What you are saying about hubs and group sets doesn't make sense in terms of actual upgrades that make the bike better to ride. Unless they are broken or worn out or really basic.

On an existing bike, wheels i.e. total wheel set, makes a difference. Forks are also very important. So are tires and whether you are tubeless But as long as your raw materials are good Otherwise admit you want to get some bling toys and stop looking for technical justification for the upgrades. Make yourself happy by buying a new computer or a GPS based computer etc, or some new glasses.

But if you are riding an old clunker then rather buy a new bike. Upgrading piecemeal doesnt make economic sense

I just use my big one.. Little chap never gets used