Sani Pass to be tarred

Ispeed_V

Slightly off-topic…what European climb would this be comparable to?

As far as I remember it is quite similar to mt. Ventoux. It would make for an epic road ride to go from Hilton to Himeville and then all the way to the top of the pass!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I remember it is quite similar to mt. Ventoux. It would make for an epic road ride to go from Hilton to Himeville and then all the way to the top of the pass!

I barely feel safe on the r617 in a car.. Never mind a bike!

If it snows and frosts as much as people make out then they'll have to think long and hards about getting something down that will stand the heat and the sub zero temps without breaking open. Was in the UK a couple of weeks back and heaps of roads there were damaged from the winter they just copped. Wet then the water freezing cracked up a lot of surfaces.

Hell, if they tar that puppy then I'll there with my road machine and a big smile! Only been up once (in a Navara without any 4x4 or diff) and it is an incredible spot for sure.

That part of the Berg.. I reckon anywhere higher than 2200 odd is subject to freezing every night from may to September.. During that period there will also be at least 4 or 5 snow events

46million per kilo? What on earth are they using?

Standard practice is usually about 1 million per kilometre construction and engineering included.. Might be a little bit more now... So yes... there is a lot of Gupta in there

Pity about the tarring as I believe that dirt roads should stay dirt roads and we should try to preserve the mountainous areas as much as possible. On the other hand I am a roadie and would definately be training there, would even make the mission from the Cape for it! The potential it has in terms of a stage finish for say the Mzansi Tour could attract a host of well known teams when the Mzansi Tour eventually grows in stature.

Other negative is the massive cost of 887m!! seems like a waste.

Other tarred passes in Lesotho are higher and handle the winters just fine. Here’s Mafika Lisiu pass - at 3000m it's about 300m higher than Sani.

post-22004-0-06343200-1400781176_thumb.jpg

Sani compares to Ventoux.

Altitude gain:

Sani = 1330

Ventoux = 1520

Except for the last 1.5km of switchbacks at the top, Sani isn't as steep as Ventoux, but it definitely wins in the rarefied air category (2800m vs 1900m). Sani is similar in altitude to the Stelvio in Italy and the Col de L'Iseran and the Col de la Bonette in France.

Would be fun if it looked like mafika, I'm sure there would be more STRAVASSHOOOLES THAN LOCALS

Other tarred passes in Lesotho are higher and handle the winters just fine. Here’s Mafika Lisiu pass - at 3000m it's about 300m higher than Sani.

Move that image over to the 'Pics that make you want to ride' fred pls!

look ..i get what you are saying @tombeej but please remember that Mafik was built as part of the Lesotho Highlands Water Scheme and as built to handle huge loads so when it was built it very likely was built using all of the 800 million (as opposed to what will happen here with the construction problems highlighted above). Second point is that it was built by an international construction company with experience in building roads in extreme temperature conditions - not gonna happen here - every tom dick and harry with an asphalt press is gonna apply. Third point is that money is still being ploughed into that highlands project and we are still in the phased development, so it is still being maintained with international money.

The point being discussed here is the lack of maintenance that will likely happen with a SA centric development which I know will fail

Final point is that pic was taken in 2005. The pass now is already potholed despite some stringent maintenance...a more recent photo

post-7169-0-73691900-1400786193_thumb.jpg

i still stand by what I say...If they tar that road, it is going to be toast 5 years after it is finished

going towards that u turn from the bottom

Road fray and landslide problems

post-7169-0-80471900-1400787661_thumb.jpg

Classic freezing compression fractures...one more winter and that will start crumbling i reckon (prob has already as the pics are prob not more recent than 2012 from Jan 2013)

post-7169-0-90860100-1400787767_thumb.jpg

edit:date correction

Personally I would love to do Sani on a road bike. On a MTB it was a steep ride, but not overly difficult. Despite of the negativity towards the government and local construction companies and with experience of growing up in a very rural area with no tarred roads the road surface on Sani pass should be tarred. Viva progress and service to the people!

• 7 months later...

Archived