Bonnie's Bike (Updated )

hagar

Ok here is a small project that I would like to tackle but dont quite know where to start and would appreciate all the help I can get.

you see its sweeties best friend from school who stays across the road from us and she has just finished having some intense Chemo therapy due to breast cancer!!!

She is a very strong woman and about a year ago I used to lend her my MTB and got her interested in cycling when she visits sweetie she always admires my Specialied cos its the person you meet as you open the doorBig%20smileBig%20smile

Ok so to cut a long story short it was her hubbies birthday on monday so we go over and wish him and we sit down and she then calls me to the room and says LOOK WHAT I HAVE GOT Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

Its a bike that her sister in law gave her and she wants to add some bling to it. She wants to do the Argus next year with me so I says bring the bike over and I will give a bit of a service like lube the chain ect ect ect.

now what I would like to do is to make it a bit more user friendly like with the bit more modern technology of sti 's  ect ect  ect.

Where would I start ?

What would you guys recommend ?

Who would be willing to donate me or for a small fee let me have some good second hand Tiagra / sora or similar components.

any suggestions/comments/donations  would be appreciated .

Thanks

hagar2009-01-02 12:53:36

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How tall is she as that is a huge frame.Not to sound horrible but to buy everything for that bike you should rather look at a seecond hand bike here on the hub.

Nothing wrong with the CroMo frame.  Will be heavy by modern standards but probably fine to ride.  I will assume the frame actually fits her - what size is it?

The biggest issue is probably the spacing for the axle.  To accomodate more gears, frames were designed with a wider gap between the seatstays from the early nineties (probably a little earlier - but I didn't know about it).  Test the width by seeing if you can fit your rear wheel into position.  If you can no problem, if not, you will need a frame builder to help widen the space safely.  I happen to have a good condition 10 speed groupset I could send you - nobody wanted to buy it dirt cheap, so I'm happy to give it away.  You will need a new cassette and chain though (but you can get reasonable aftermarket chains and cassettes from KNC and BBB).  You still need to get hold of a decent wheelset (or at least a rear wheel).  Don't have spare of those I'm afraid.  Let me know and I'll PM details of what I have.

To be honest I will rather recomend getting a different second hand bike or whatever, because it's going to cost a fair amount to fix it up and I dont mean to be funny but it will look very funny.

it seems like such a worthy cause. if i had anything, i would have gladly donated it.

but how about setting up some kind of trustfund thingy and then we can donate cash and help out with the costs involved or even buying the lady a good second bike that is maybe a more suitable size, or something.

zoo cookie that is a good idea....if you guys can start something I will donate the first R50.  

Hagar I am not sure where you are but being closely involved in supporting some close family members who have been diagnosed with this terrible disease I have some first hand knowledge of the bravery that is required to beat it.

I am in Gauteng and have a set of Shimano WH 500 wheels with a 12 - 23 Tiagra cluster that I will gladly donate for the above bike - please let me know

thanks you guys gals i am really touched by your generosity !!! I will have a look at the width of the rear stays like you said its was made for a six speed so i will have to have a look at all the options. Its a bit sensitive I dont want to go and buy her a new bike as I say it was her sister in law's bike and she gave it with a good heart. I have just come from the garage now after taking it apart giving it a good clean all over and adjusting the cables ,cleaning the chain ect ect just basic stuff . I will still put some nice bartape on and oh i put a sigma cycle computer on too she will be chuffed when she sees it cleand the rims too and scrubbed the whitewall tyres .

I must say the gear changes are not too shabby changes pretty well too.

Man i just looked at the frame size against my 54 special and the frame looks huge you quite right !!! i did not even notice it .

ok i have got alot of things to work through let me check my options and we can chat again.

You Hubbers are the best Hug

oh yes I never said but she says next year we doing Argus too !!!!

so target date would be say 31 october 2008 so she has got plenty time to train.

oh yes Bobster she is a very good friend of that lady you know here in saldanha they often go walking together.

I told them walking is boring they must start cycling Big%20smile me and my big mouth LOL  

Can you find out what size frame she needs?

Maybe we can organise something.

ok i will ask her for measurements to see what size she is then let you guys have it . By looking at her she would probably be 52 cm she is average size lady stands about 175cm tall but will get her inseam . Thanks Hog