The toughest mountain bike race on earth launches with prize money of $1 million - The Munga

News bot

Well, I think that entry fees will cover the prize money.

Will the amateurs pay for the pro's to come win this one? I hope not.

I recon if you enter the first one and are fit, you could walk away with the money. Not sure if the pros will commit to this first time round, unless the money is the big drawcard, but will mess up their season.

Will be interesting to see if they can grab the imagination of the top pros

I recon if you enter the first one and are fit, you could walk away with the money. Not sure if the pros will commit to this first time round, unless the money is the big drawcard, but will mess up their season.

Will be interesting to see if they can grab the imagination of the top pros

they will be stupid not to race, this will be equal to ten years prize money for most pros!

I think this is a really dumb idea unless a major sponsor wants to toss away $1m for some coverage. It will take 100 teams to enter to cover the prize money. There will only be a handful of teams with a realistic chance. The vast majority of teams will be there simply to fund the purse the handful are racing to win. This looks like a glorified Epic with the minions funding the few. I wouldn't fork out over R100k to just be another rider without a clear chance of winning. Besides, as a Freedom Challenge veteran I am more than happy to ride a race that is more about my own personal achievement and experience. I lack the talent to challenge for a $1 million purse but that does nothing to diminish the rich experiences represented by the 3 Freedom Challenge blankets I have been handed over the years. Might just be blankets but they represent experiences that transcend money.

With that price tag this is not aimed at South Africans. I will watch with interest how this develop. But will rather save up and train for the Freedom challenge, which does not take you through a dessert in summer.

How is this diffirent from the Freedom Challenge, othr than paying an insane amount to ride (sponsor some pro team price money

Tjokkits, difference is you have way longer to finish the Freedom challenge. 5 days to ride 1000km definately takes more balls.