Jonkershoek Closure

trailmansam

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/robschwartz/files/2012/01/Audi_BMW-Blimp1.jpeg

Needless to say that the blimp will come crashing down in a ball of flames in the first corner, like so many other cars when Montoya was on track...

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next Scott bikes will be banned on the trails that Spaz built Not a bad idea actually...

I assume Giant bikes will be allowed, be seeing that they make bikes for Specialized.

But permission would have to be given by the owner/leaser of the land.

But then again is what the sign looks like the issue? Or is it Specialized/TMM having a bit of a tantrum?

I assume, from the tone of the messages contained here and on the other thread, that this is the real reason.

You also need to explain the legal issues you or TMM may face...is TMM under contract to do maintenance and to ensure the safety of riders....I've never read the receipt I get at the gate but did I sign something indemnifying TMM?

There appear to be two points of contention: credit and assistance.

If the issue is financial assistance. Let us open and publicise a private trail fund and contribute to it.

Conversely, if the issue is mechanical assistance: make a call to action for volunteer build days, which I cannot ever remember being made. The work done there is of a very high standard and skill, perhaps volunteers would just be a hindrance, considering how pedantic Cape Pine appear to be about access, vehicles, equipment use. Keen amateurs could be destructive, despite good intentions.

If the issue is credit, well, that is a point of true contention. How does one show benevolent appreciation for the work being done? Do we have a braai or a trail appreciation day (similar to the Red Bull opening of Full Nelson in Squamish?).

But permission would have to be given by the owner/leaser of the land.

But then again is what the sign looks like the issue? Or is it Specialized/TMM having a bit of a tantrum?

I believe it is as it sets a president as to future signage in the area

There appear to be two points of contention: credit and assistance.

If the issue is financial assistance. Let us open and publicise a private trail fund and contribute to it.

Conversely, if the issue is mechanical assistance: make a call to action for volunteer build days, which I cannot ever remember being made. The work done there is of a very high standard and skill, perhaps volunteers would just be a hindrance, considering how pedantic Cape Pine appear to be about access, vehicles, equipment use. Keen amateurs could be destructive, despite good intentions.

If the issue is credit, well, that is a point of true contention. How does one show benevolent appreciation for the work being done? Do we have a braai or a trail appreciation day (similar to the Red Bull opening of Full Nelson in Squamish?).

JAAAA Nou gat ons braai! I smaak this idea!

Does he necessarily need to?

Is he not already paying rent and/or owning the building?

You still haven't answered my question

And what of the trails that existed before Specilaized/TMM got involved? You going to close those down too?

The closure has nothing to do with Specialized.

It is us withholding funds because we are not happy with branding going up at our expense. I have nothing against Scott (other than their ambush marketing).

The funds were used for maintenance on all trails, regardless who built them in the first place.

All trails will be inspected and a decision taken in conjunction with the powers in charge on dangerous or potential dangerous trails or sections.

If a trail is considered not dangerous it will remain open.

Only sections / trails that is considered dangerous or potentially dangerous to the riders will be closed.

The closure has nothing to do with Specialized.

It is us withholding funds because we are not happy with branding going up at our expense. I have nothing against Scott (other than their ambush marketing).

The funds were used for maintenance on all trails, regardless who built them in the first place.

All trails will be inspected and a decision taken in conjunction with the powers in charge on dangerous or potential dangerous trails or sections.

If a trail is considered not dangerous it will remain open.

Only sections / trails that is considered dangerous or potentially dangerous to the riders will be closed.

That really sucks man. I love Jonkers, its one of the reason so many overseas pros spend their winters in Stellies.

Wait. Are you saying that the cafe used your funds to place the signage and have it produced?

Thats not what he is saying.

Not overly so though. And if they got permission from the powers that be to put a sign up for the Cafe (which this clearly is) then what's the problem? EDIT: It could have been better designed though.

Storm in a teacup.

I'd even go so far as to say that Spaz missed a marketing trick, and were out-marketed by Scott by sponsoring the bikes...

and what if it was branded Coke as most shop signs are? What then?

Just some fools looking to stir the pot because they did not think of it. The shop and the grounds belong to shop owner and they may put up any branding the choose. This is a free market.

Spez are putting money and effort into the trials and everyone that rides there can clearly see the Spez branding. most say wow, look what they are doing etc etc.

To be honest this is the first time I even noticed toe Scott branding.

Get a life.

This is not about one brand being a better brand than the other. It is not about who is allowed to brand and who not.

Fact is that unless you have picked up a spade to do trail maintenance or if you have paid someone to do it then you have not made any contribution towards the maintenance of the trails.

The gate fees are permit fees and is totally divorced from the trails itself and their maintenance.

Cape Pine is very clear about the trails and mountain biking. They are not interested in the administration and /or its maintenance. They will close them permanently at the drop of a hat. The loss in permit fees as result thereof is of no consequence to them.

What is at issue is the following.

• After the fires the trails where in bad shape. Many where closed due to this and purely for the safety of the riders.
  • Individuals are spending their own (key word) money and time to fund the building and maintenance of the trails that you ride in Jonkers.
  • This same group is saying that we don't want others to benefit with unfair branding at our expense. So, we stopped the maintenance.
  • Because of the lack of current maintenance the trails are in bad shape - not all, but some.
  • For rider safety some trails will be closed
  • Cape Pine will close the trails FOR EVER if riders get injured and they try to recover medical expenses from Cape Pine because of no maintenance on the trails.
  • The closure is a pre-emptive move prevent injury and permanent closure

All we ask for is no branding at our expense. Come forward with constructive ideas. Get everyone to work together for a better system that will be to the benefit of all - riders, contractors, coffee shops, importers and Cape Pine.

The branding is not at your expense. The shop owner has a deal with Scott and brands for them. It could have been coke/Castle/Amstel/Playtex/some woman's toiletries etc. What then?

Would you raise the same issues?

How is it at your expense? Is there money involved in the first place or did Scott pay for the branding and put some bikes there F.O.C?

Closing trails because there's Scott branding at the gate is cutting your nose to spite your face.

How is it at your expense? Is there money involved in the first place or did Scott pay for the branding and put some bikes there F.O.C?

Closing trails because there's Scott branding at the gate is cutting your nose to spite your face.

At their expense in that they (Sam etc) are claiming that the branding implies that Scott is sponsoring the trails. Which is a very large leap given that the signage relates to the CAFE ONLY