Camelbak/ Hydration pack options

Andy_Mills

hey guys

I started offroad riding recently and now need to get kitted out. Would be grateful for advice on the best hydration packs for 40-50km type rides?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a small one. smallest you can get! i have 2. one is a 2ltr that only carries the bladder. theres a small pocket on the front i can get a couple of things like bomb, multitool, keys and i can squeeze my very light rain coat into the main bit with the bladder but thats it. your always going to get hotter riding with a bag so the smaller it is the less of your back is covered.

i have a bigger one that also takes a 2ltr bladder but with more bag space. it goes the length of my back and when the bladder starts getting empty and the bag is light, it moves around loads and is really irritating. id only use it in the winter doing a really long ride as i get too hot otherwise.

edit - for me the mule is way way too big! i used to use one of those for commuting to work!

Edited by leona

a small one. smallest you can get! i have 2. one is a 2ltr that only carries the bladder. theres a small pocket on the front i can get a couple of things like bomb, multitool, keys and i can squeeze my very light rain coat into the main bit with the bladder but thats it. your always going to get hotter riding with a bag so the smaller it is the less of your back is covered.

i have a bigger one that also takes a 2ltr bladder but with more bag space. it goes the length of my back and when the bladder starts getting empty and the bag is light, it moves around loads and is really irritating. id only use it in the winter doing a really long ride as i get too hot otherwise.

edit - for me the mule is way way too big! i used to use one of those for commuting to work!

I only ride with the MULE on looong training rides that is 5-7hrs. Can fit all my spares in there and some food with 3L water. Its lite and can be uses as a back pack when you take out the bladder

I have a Lobo, 3lt but when you pack it with crap like tools etc you end up with about 2.5lt. Whats scary is I paid about R700 back then, same pack is now almost twice as much!

4 yrs old and used 4-5 times a week and the material and stitching is still great, I also glued (material glue) a strip of reflective tape down the front of it as well.

The Camelbak MULE is a great choice. But for 40-50km why do you need a Hydration Pack?

Here is a link to one with a great price

http://www.capemulti.co.za/CATEGORIES/tabid/5071/ProductID/173/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

Because he wants one. No other reason needed.

I take mine, together with all my tools and spares on every ride. Even the short 12 km ones. Never know what could happen on the Trails, or when it'll start raining etc.

I used to use my camelbak rogue, which has a 2l capacity and enough space to hold a rainproof shell, multi tools, pumps, phone, chain breaker, tyre levers and a patch kit. Served me well for many a year, and I will continue to use it for roadie missions.

I now have a Dakine Amp 25l pack with 3l liquid storage that I pack for any eventuality, and had enough space for my elbow and knee pads, a proper jacket, spare gloves, beanie and bike lock. Yes it's heavy, but I'm prepared for anything and I've already helped a few people who would have had a long walk down otherwise. Plus it's extra training for me.

Because he wants one. No other reason needed.

I take mine, together with all my tools and spares on every ride. Even the short 12 km ones. Never know what could happen on the Trails, or when it'll start raining etc.

I used to use my camelbak rogue, which has a 2l capacity and enough space to hold a rainproof shell, multi tools, pumps, phone, chain breaker, tyre levers and a patch kit. Served me well for many a year, and I will continue to use it for roadie missions.

I now have a Dakine Amp 25l pack with 3l liquid storage that I pack for any eventuality, and had enough space for my elbow and knee pads, a proper jacket, spare gloves, beanie and bike lock. Yes it's heavy, but I'm prepared for anything and I've already helped a few people who would have had a long walk down otherwise. Plus it's extra training for me.

Hey... you wrote what I was writing. Ah well. I'll shelve that post then. Well put and 100%.

Only to add, it's flecking annoying when you see your one bottle take a dive out of your cage and off in to the unknown on a trail. Then you ask 'why didn't I have a camelbak?'

I got a 1.5l from a fellow hubber(new from a shop) and am very happy with it, wish it had a pocket so that i could put my tools/spares in it, but will get a bigger one later. The 1.5l is more than enough for any event providing you are happy to stop at water points to refill....

hey guys

I started offroad riding recently and now need to get kitted out. Would be grateful for advice on the best hydration packs for 40-50km type rides?

I use one bottle on a 40-50km ride, I just take a second bottle for just in case.

I gave my hydration pack away. Never got used to it and don't like it on my back.

Edited by Super Sywurm

I use one bottle on a 40-50km ride, I just take a second bottle for just in case.

And where do you put these bottles? (my bike doesnt have bottle cages)

hey guys

Best hydration pack for 50km would be a water bottle....

Hey... you wrote what I was writing. Ah well. I'll shelve that post then. Well put and 100%.

Only to add, it's flecking annoying when you see your one bottle take a dive out of your cage and off in to the unknown on a trail. Then you ask 'why didn't I have a camelbak?'

Yeah. Plus... bottle cages just don't look right on an MTB. IMO.

ruins the lines.

Bottles also get dirty as feck when it's muddy. Which, incidentally, is my favourite time to ride.

So that would be a pushbike then? :)

Put the bottle in your cycling shirt pocket.... wait... something wrong here....

I put one in front of my rear shock, one on my seat post and on the longer rides, I sometimes put a 500ml Energade in my middle back pocket