Garmin 1000

Erroli8a8

I ride to get away from texts and the outside world.

Very useful for commuter or touring type.

I ride to get away from texts and the outside world.

Very useful for commuter or touring type.

Jip, what he said.

Hi All.

With Garmin launching their new Garmin 1000 unit, I was wondering what your take is.

mine is as follows.

for MTB it is useless, who can read an sms and ride, there is no Di2 for MTB yet.

for commuting it would be perfect.

http://www.dcrainmak...-edge-1000.html

Lots of issues from guys using it in Europe it seems. Some software bugs that still needs to be sorted out.

It is big. Really really big

Di2 for the MTB is about 1-2 months away if I read the rumours right.

I guess it's the natural progression of technology where it just includes more and more features that you don't really need, but that it's neither here or there to include it from the manufacturer's perspective.

Haven't studied all the new features so perhaps there are nice new things to use. Still love my 500!

Hi All.

With Garmin launching their new Garmin 1000 unit, I was wondering what your take is.

mine is as follows.

for MTB it is useless, who can read an sms and ride, there is no Di2 for MTB yet.

for commuting it would be perfect.

http://www.dcrainmak...-edge-1000.html

As for the useless with MTB I disagree what about the search for a ride function if your are in an unfamiliar place or abroad?

The upgraded standard maps?

One of the huge gripes I have is why the heck are Garmin's so expensive here in SA? The 810 here is more than than the new 1000 in the US and they are complaining about $599 well by the time it get here you going to be looking at around R8,999.00 which is on par with the other units being 40% more expensive in SA.

The new Shimano XTR 9000 will be Di2 in a few months and now with Fox going electronic things are about to get very interesting and technical.

Like Magura's new electronic automatic lock out, Power meters, Heart rate, and electronic shifting and new age bike computers.

The possibility to combine all this in a bike would give you a bike that:

Changes gear automatically based on heart rate and power output through your bike PC. (Riders could even have different profiles depending on weather they are training, racing or just cruising.)

Suspension that is controlled by your bike PC. (The terrain could be monitored ie. speed, gradient, surface, weather conditions, having an accelerometer like the Magura to detect free-fall and automatically open the fork and shock.

Training and data. (Being able to see what gear the rider was in a certain points during racing and what his correlating power and heart rate were might prove valuable)

There is even the possibility of integrating a crash sensor so if you are riding on your own and have a big OTB and are unconscious alerts can be sent.

Now along with all of this comes a huge headache and many connectivity problems and issues not to mention the raw simplicity of you and your bike.

One of the huge gripes I have is why the heck are Garmin's so expensive here in SA? The 810 here is more than than the new 1000 in the US and they are complaining about $599 well by the time it get here you going to be looking at around R8,999.00 which is on par with the other units being 40% more expensive in SA.

Are you talking about the price in the shops re. the R8,999? If so I would imagine it's the normal customs fee of 10% and VAT of 14% and distributor margin and the shop margin?

If you order direct it would be $599 x R10.44 x 1.1 x 1.14 + R158 (possible handling fee) = R8,000.

• 2 weeks later...

At Evans : Garmin Edge 1000 Performance Bundle = R 7483.21 (Free international delivery, might need to pay customs)

Included in Box: Edge 1000 Unit, Preloaded Garmin Cycle map of Europe, Quarter turn mount, Out-front mount, Speed sensor, Cadence sensor, Premium heart rate monitor, Tether, USB cable, Quick Start manual

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/garmin/edge-1000-performance-bundle-ec062928

Seems far cheaper than the 810 locally.

At Evans : Garmin Edge 1000 Performance Bundle = R 7483.21 (Free international delivery, might need to pay customs)

Included in Box: Edge 1000 Unit, Preloaded Garmin Cycle map of Europe, Quarter turn mount, Out-front mount, Speed sensor, Cadence sensor, Premium heart rate monitor, Tether, USB cable, Quick Start manual

http://www.evanscycl...bundle-ec062928

Seems far cheaper than the 810 locally.

£416.66 x 18,07 x 1.1 x 1.14 + R158 (possible handling fee) = R9600.00

Easybike have the 810 for R6499 on special, includes the premium HRM, cadence sensor and outfront bike mount.

http://www.easybike....nce-bundle.html

Edit: Local shipping fee from Durbs not included, but it won't be 3200 Randelas ;)

No thanks, my 500 works just fine. Tells me where I've been, and how much effort it took to get there.

Incoming text and call alerts??? WTF! If I wanted to be irritated by texts and calls I would stay in the office.

This is just too much for my old mind to absorb.

Di2 is already out if you live in another world and is sponsored. I saw them launching it a week or two ago at a world championship race. Seems like expensive stuff that is going to break out here in these parts of the woods.

• 3 months later...

Archived