Cleanextreme Foam Chain Degreaser (review)

dalem44

After pulling my trusty steed out of the garage this week after having almost 2 weeks off from Sani2c, I found that it had acquired a bit more dust and dirt than usual. I assume that this is due to me being lazy and not washing my bike after the ride, so all the dirt from the beach, drive home and general dust has coagulated around my chain. My chain, chainring and cassette were terribly dirty and they had a thick gunky trim along the entirety of the drivetrain.I decided to use a new product that I was told about by a friend - Cleanextreme foam chain degreaser.All I had to do was hose the bike down, spray the degreaser over the chain while turning the cranks and then leave it for a few minutes. The foam sticks to the chain doing it's magic and does not drip into any bearings or go anywhere it shouldn't.After a few minutes I hosed it off and the drivetrain looked brand new.I highly recommend this product because it works so well!I bought mine off www.kitted.co.za but I am not sure if they still have stock.

Edited by dalem44

Eeish R150 for what looks like a 500ml bottle is a bit steep. It's just a emulsifier that foams, I use Wynns 59sec mag cleaner R50 for 750ml spray bottle at Midas, same thing quickly and easily removes oily grime and is washed off with water.

On the kitted website the specs for that product are a bit daft, they say you want the stuff to clean the chain but not inside the rollers and the foam will prevent that? I think I want the chain cleaned everywhere, ie get the lube and grit out of the rollers so I can relube afresh and just because it starts as foam doesn't mean it won't condense into a fluid and work into the rollers. I have never got any kind of cleaner into BB bearings or any bearing for that matter, and again foam isn't going to magically prevent that, what hog wash!

No doubt a good product but overpriced and suspect marketing.

Edited by Skylark

Hi Guys.

Just want to add my 5c worth here.

Got me some of this CleanExtreme stuff and yes R 150 is a little steep, BUT........

I run a single speed so the chain is basically the only component I have to really worry about. I also prefer to use squirt lube and as you all know it works like a dream but has a rather annoying and dirty side effect. I have used Cleanextreme a couple of times now as instructed and I can honestly say it does the business, no mess no fuss just as it says on the packaging. Simply apply, leave alone and rinse off!! Seeing as Im running SS I only use a small amount during the process so Im sure my R 150 is gonna last.

Lets face it, nothing is cheap these days but a product that works like a dream is worth the "extra layout" in my opinion. Im sure on a fully geared setup this stuff will work like magic.

As for the "issues" with the marketing info, I cant say I read that far down on the package. I simply tried it out and I am chuffed that it works.

i will keep trying it and will post more info on my findings (if anyone actually cares) but bottom line is you sometimes have to pay a little more for a product that dies what it says it does.

5c over.

Peace out!!!