Nissan Trailseeker 2 Hakahana

Muggins

Hi All

As usual these forums are limited by the number of active participants, so seeing there are a few of us interested in making great trails and having special rides I'd like some honest feedback on the Nissan Routes. I understand there were some marking issues and confusion and there were long queues for food and beer etc, but I'd like to focus on the ride.. The rhythm, the demand, the balance, the texture....

The intent this year was to 'soften' the 40k to make it both a pleasureable but still challenging experience. The 70k gives us license to use our more serious trails and we expect anyone entering this distance to be aware of the possible technical nature. Bear in mind we prepared 100km of routes this year over some heavy terrain - there is not much more available in the valley and almost every bit of the 35km+ single-track has been hand-cut.

Unfortunately the 20k went badly wrong. This is a pity as we actually prepared a really nice ride and new trails with the sole intent of getting young riders to really ENJOY the experience.

Is there any specific section you really loved or hated?

Where were bottle necks, and if so please your rough batch no... etc

And please I know of the irritating Gerotek wyndi-wyndi at the end. That was totally unavoidable at the last minute. Out of our control. There were no alternatives.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest notmyname

Last 5 or 10 of the marathon. After such awesome ups and downs those last k's were disheartening. Otherwise I loved the hurt on offer.

*****Sorry I only read your edit now*****

Edited by small fry

The half marathon was very good.

I have ridden at Hakahana often. Saturday was like riding at a new venue. Doing a number of the trails in reverse was nice.

Funny thing was as soon as I got to sections I knew and thought ok now we go this way it would change and I enjoyed that. Kept one guessing.

There was also a lot of single track that I haven't ridden before.

As good as the Cullinan race was this race was a couple of notches above that.

I would love to say that I hate The Rhinkals climb but that climb and me have some unfinished issues. So for now I can't hate Rhinkals.

So far the score is Rhinkals 10 Muggins 0 and a buckled front rim in terms of riding it from bottom to top with out putting a foot down.

Edited by Muggins

Other than Gerotek there is nothing I would change. It is designed to be a tough and testing route. That's exactly what it was. With that under my belt I feel that I can manage any other 60km marathon out there.

And please I know of the irritating Gerotek wyndi-wyndi at the end. That was totally unavoidable at the last minute. Out of our control. There were no alternatives.

The Marathon route was awesome. Tough but rideable.I love climbing but need to work on my technical decending.I had no problems with the route markings even after the last water point were the 70/40K split was.I think there should have been a marshal their to direct different groups. Some marathon guys could have gained quiet a bit of time on the rest of us marathon guys if the went with the half marathon and were not honest at the end.I will going there a lot from now on as one can only improve your skills as a mountain biker with all the Hakahana can throw at you.Thanks Guys.

Other than Gerotek there is nothing I would change. It is designed to be a tough and testing route. That's exactly what it was. With that under my belt I feel that I can manage any other 60km marathon out there.

Cheers Grant. You get it, and I agree.

I am not a very brave soul. I enjoyed the marathon although I had to miss the last climb with a smashed drivetrain. What made a difference is that I started to trust the markings (first time ever the 2arrows were used properly). I liked a bit of recovery after the big climbs. The "transition" part on the north was a bit flat and boring but I accept that it was needed to make up distance. I will definitely bring my mates soon.

Some days I want to just get some quiet TITS without any white knuckle stuff. Do you have such a route there?

I am not a very brave soul. I enjoyed the marathon although I had to miss the last climb with a smashed drivetrain. What made a difference is that I started to trust the markings (first time ever the 2arrows were used properly). I liked a bit of recovery after the big climbs. The "transition" part on the north was a bit flat and boring but I accept that it was needed to make up distance. I will definitely bring my mates soon.

Some days I want to just get some quiet TITS without any white knuckle stuff. Do you have such a route there?

Cheers mate. Our blue, green and purple trails are intermediate and still fun and flowy bush trails totaling about 30k. But I am also working on a plan to mark some routes though to Broederstrooom, and then link up with Erics trails from VG. I ride this often. its a district ride with some nice options.

The last bit was the part that i enjoyed .Those technical climbs on a HT are no fun .A couple of us ended up in a thick muddy area when we got lost .That was actually a better secton than when we returned to the real route

Did the half marathon on a HT - loved every single mile of it. To be fair, some of the trails were still very rough with plenty of grass, but this year I had my sense of humor intact and no back pain :D

Issues experienced were not the trails, they were the organizer's - markings, marshals etc.

Did the half marathon on a HT - loved every single mile of it. To be fair, some of the trails were still very rough with plenty of grass, but this year I had my sense of humor intact and no back pain :D

Issues experienced were not the trails, they were the organizer's - markings, marshals etc.

Cheers Riaan. Thanks for being a sport re. Graspolle... I had to chuckle though as 3 days before the event we lost access to the whole middle section where I had already completed this years routes. We then frantically cut two new lines and I stood there looking at those fresh graspolle and smiled, knowing there was no way we would get to clearing them.. (BTW things changed till 9pm Friday this year, despite being prepared months before).

(BTW things changed till 9pm Friday this year, despite being prepared months before).

Been there done that - I used to be a tour guide, last minute **** sometimes are really last minute :D Also had mega land access issues when I used to be chairman of the Jeep club and did tours/routes over multiple properties ... and once one owner moans, they ALL moan :)

FYI - UPCOMING EVENTS AT HAKAHANA:

Sat 9th August - XCOSA #1 -

Sat 23rd August - MOMENTUM DUALX #2 -

Sat 27th September - XCOSA #2

What happened on the 20km? It was my first race so decided to do the 20km to get a feel for it. Started in the back batch, so the bottlenecks were expected and was quite slow going from 7,5km to the end, but as I said nothing unexpected... seemed like lots of people were taking 'short cuts at the 2nd single track river section though and to be honest they could see quite clearly where the route went as it was well marked and they pretty much intentionally cut across that field (thats not an opinion but rather me overhearing them) I basically led my batch from the start with 2 other riders, no one overtook us the entire route and I ended up in 10th or so in the batch... A bit disappointed that my time won't count cause i was hoping to get into a better batch next time around, however all part of the fun I guess...On the positive side, the route was excellent, extremely well marked considering your challenges, thoroughly enjoyable and a nice mix of trail for the inexperienced or unfit rider, so well done to the team.

What happened on the 20km? It was my first race so decided to do the 20km to get a feel for it. Started in the back batch, so the bottlenecks were expected and was quite slow going from 7,5km to the end, but as I said nothing unexpected... seemed like lots of people were taking 'short cuts at the 2nd single track river section though and to be honest they could see quite clearly where the route went as it was well marked and they pretty much intentionally cut across that field (thats not an opinion but rather me overhearing them) I basically led my batch from the start with 2 other riders, no one overtook us the entire route and I ended up in 10th or so in the batch... A bit disappointed that my time won't count cause i was hoping to get into a better batch next time around, however all part of the fun I guess...On the positive side, the route was excellent, extremely well marked considering your challenges, thoroughly enjoyable and a nice mix of trail for the inexperienced or unfit rider, so well done to the team.

probably because of inconsistent results with all the "short-cutting" going on. really don't get why people do this, especially in a 20km fun race AND in lower batches (?) I've seen some nasty fights break out in the field because of it.

Passed you lying there with your leg being held in the air, you looked quite cheerfull considering you had a broken ankle. Hope it will heal soon.:) What happened?

I think the guys helping me were making it a cheerful experience :-D

Thanks,also hoping for a quick recovery!;-)