How to see when a Cassette is worn

norm333

My six month old full sus went to Cycle Factory for a "wash". When I fetch it this week I will post a picture of my old cassette (because of course the LBS now has me paying for a new chain, new cabling and gear housing, new cassette and new headset bearings). Look forward to hearing the Hub opinion.

if it's the cycle factory in Montague gardens, they're good guys and know what they're talking about. You can destroy all those things in less than 6 months if they're lower end stuff or you don't take care of them. Also some headsets are made of cheese...

My six month old full sus went to Cycle Factory for a "wash". When I fetch it this week I will post a picture of my old cassette (because of course the LBS now has me paying for a new chain, new cabling and gear housing, new cassette and new headset bearings). Look forward to hearing the Hub opinion.

Serves you right...lazy woman!! :whistling: :whistling: you shoulda washed that bike yourself!! Prefrebly BEFORE you jump into shower after your ride...

Norm, I'd say your are seeing the first signs of wear....see the areas that i have circled...one can see the metal has deformed under pressure.

(not to be confused with the machined sections!)

As to replacing or not, I'll leave that up to you....

I've been riding my chain + cassette combo way past it useful lifespan and will still do so until chain suck /slipping occur...then replace entire drive train - currently XT components...

post-5709-0-24352300-1401826363_thumb.jpg

I don't think that's much wear if at all, maybe the light/flash is doing that, impossible to tell from the angle the photo is taken from.

Noticeable wear on the cassette is normally also accompanied by those little burrs on the side of the cog teeth.

I ride my chain and cassette until the chain is worn 0.75. Then I replace the cassette, chain and jockey wheels. Never had to replace my chainrings.

I ride my chain and cassette until the chain is worn 0.75. Then I replace the cassette, chain and jockey wheels. Never had to replace my chainrings.

Doesn't that get quite expensive?

Technically as long as you always change the chain within wear limits that's all that needs replacing.

I also ride an ex demo bike. i've ridden the XX cluster until it started loosing teeth. only then did I replaxe it.

if the mechanic says everything is toast, it will be toast in a years time as well, but you'll have ridden a lot more kms before then.

over eager bike shop staff working on commision can't always be trusted. get a second opinion if you want to, but imo that cassette is still fine.

always measure a chain with a ruler, and not with a chain checker. plenty of info about this on the webs.