Emmarentia to become paid access only?

Rata Del Spruit

As far as the dogs without leashes go, yeah, seen this as well but thankfully haven't had any negative encounters to date. I just let the dogs do their thing, say morning to the owner/s and pedal on my way.

Pretty simple isn't it.... :thumbup:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Cr@p, my little comment, made jest, has sparked some serious banter.

We have all committed the sin of riding too fast, where we shouldn't have.

And the dog walkers really should leash the hounds when they are on the trails.

I almost, it was really really close, rode over a Yorke, it would have just been a speed bump for me, but tragic for the Yorke...

For sure! Barely made it out alive.

Owner even tells me to chill. His dog bites him sometimes as well... Can you believe it!

I was confronted by an older gentleman at the rose garden area towards the end of the year. He stopped me and enquired whether I knew the conditions set out in the bylaws. I replied that I didn't and said I'd check up. It turns out that to my understanding of the matter, cyclists should not exceed 5km/h (might be 10km/h). Municipal vehicles required for maintenance in city park areas are excluded from the restriction.

Edit: I think the man's name was David

Edited by RossW

The topic wasn't intended to become an us vs other riders we don't like vs dog walkers vs runners thread. My main intention was to find out if anyone else had heard about this since the only thing I've seen is an article in a community paper. I would think there would be a pretty major uproar about this so was wondering if anybody else had additional info.

Communities need green spaces, it's been proven to be a major factor in the wellness and happiness of the people that live there. I'm fine for some places like Walter Sisulu requiring paid access but cities do still need to provide properly maintained parks that allow access to all not just those that can afford it.

The topic wasn't intended to become an us vs other riders we don't like vs dog walkers vs runners thread. My main intention was to find out if anyone else had heard about this since the only thing I've seen is an article in a community paper. I would think there would be a pretty major uproar about this so was wondering if anybody else had additional info.

Communities need green spaces, it's been proven to be a major factor in the wellness and happiness of the people that live there. I'm fine for some places like Walter Sisulu requiring paid access but cities do still need to provide properly maintained parks that allow access to all not just those that can afford it.

Sure...agreed. Just needed to vent....and reading Ross's post, it seems we are all in the wrong...cyclists in the botanical gardens that is.

Guest notmyname

How will they police the rouge rider/auntie with lighties/dog walker issue. And will the paddlers also need to pay for use of the water... what about the pap gooiers? The investment into policing these entities will take a looong time to recuperate.

Continuing on from my earlier post, help me make sense of this. Is my above understanding correct, based on the following.

Vehicles 15. No person may within a public open space – (a) except at times specified and on roads or pathways provided by the Council, drive, draw or propel any vehicle other than a bicycle; (b) drive, draw or propel a vehicle in excess of five kilometres per hour; or © park a vehicle in a public open space, except in designated area or other area where parking is otherwise permitted by the Council.

I retrieved this from: http://www.joburg.org.za/bylaws/

The public space pdf document.

Edit: spelling

Edited by RossW

Sure...agreed. Just needed to vent....and reading Ross's post, it seems we are all in the wrong...cyclists in the botanical gardens that is.

Yeah, I think very few of us want a nanny state attitude to the use of the park. If common sense and decency prevail then it should be a pretty enjoyable experience for most. There will always be douches, they're not restricted to any segment of society or activity. They'd be successful as a douchebag no matter what activity they took up, they're just talented that way.

Guest Zeitgeist

For sure! Barely made it out alive.

Owner even tells me to chill. His dog bites him sometimes as well... Can you believe it!

I was confronted by an older gentleman at the rose garden area towards the end of the year. He stopped me and enquired whether I knew the conditions set out in the bylaws. I replied that I didn't and said I'd check up. It turns out that to my understanding of the matter, cyclists should not exceed 5km/h (might be 10km/h). Municipal vehicles required for maintenance in city park areas are excluded from the restriction.

Edit: I think the man's name was David

I have a municipal bike - EXEMPTION - MUCH

Yeah, I think very few of us want a nanny state attitude to the use of the park. If common sense and decency prevail then it should be a pretty enjoyable experience for most. There will always be douches, they're not restricted to any segment of society or activity. They'd be successful as a douchebag no matter what activity they took up, they're just talented that way.

Exactly....and everyone will lose if they continue in their douche ways.

Guest Zeitgeist

Que....trainers?

I am confused

YEP, clearly so was I - kohmpooter says: stooopid!

YEP, clearly so was I - kohmpooter says: stooopid!

hahaha ok, for a moment I thought we gonna have a virtual race in emerentia dam... :thumbup:

Naaa my friend, it seems that YOU are the problem. Drawing the raft of conclusions as you did from my profile pic proves this, as it took very little for you to get aggressive and abusive - only guilty people do this. W@nker riders like you are the reason the rest get a bad name - I love the way you say " I ride slowly and with consideration - usually around the walkers" - self-entitled knobs like you cause all the problems, and no, the walkers don't think they own the park, they merely want to enjoy it without kamikaze riders smashing into everybody. I only ride in the park, and I do not walk my dog there EVER. I just suffer from an ailment called consideration - maybe ask your doctor to ease off on the stupid pills and give you some "be nice and considerate" pills

Jeez, you are so far in the wrong, I have to stifle a chuckle.

Simple question, should dogs be on leashes in public parks? YES/NO?

Are you usually this pig-headed or is this trolling Wednesday?

Pretty simple isn't it.... :thumbup:

Yes, it is pretty simple until a big Rottweiler (off leash) sinks its fangs into your thigh.

I was dismounted at the time, waiting for the walkers to pass, when their huge rottie made a lunge for me - one foot one the ground and the other clipped in means I had nowhere to run to / hide.

"Oh, he never does that", says the considerate and caring dog-lover.

R2,000 later - a visit to the medi-clinic (after hours and on public holiday) + a week of antibiotics + tetanus shot + various bandages + no swimming till wound healed, which ruined my holiday.

Despite the above, I have encountered the same dog and owner twice subsequently and both times the dog was not on a leash.

Dog owners appear to operate in a morality/legal vacuum where their rights triumph over everyone else's. This is readily apparent to anyone who walks/rides in Emmarentia Park.

Why is it sooooo difficult for dog owners to keep their dogs on a leash and pick up their poop?

Jeez, you are so far in the wrong, I have to stifle a chuckle.

Simple question, should dogs be on leashes in public parks? YES/NO?

Are you usually this pig-headed or is this trolling Wednesday?

Actually some parks have leash free zones for dog walkers.

Leashed or unleashed though, generally as a cyclist on the trail/greenspace the onus is on YOU to slow down and/or give right of way. Not only to dog walkers, but walkers, runners, horses.

Simple.

Edited by danger dassie