[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

I just checked online - that's a nice looking shoe.

But would it take Time cleats? I've got a feeling I'm going to have some challenges finding good touring/hiking cleated shoes that will match my Atacs.

OK didn't take too long. Found a good one.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RASA 2014 Finisher: Hanno in, happiness all around.

(note the rain pants - we nearly passed 2014 without a drop, today they needed them)

post-1509-0-36583800-1404392350_thumb.jpg

Edited by tubed

The fatbike was being ridden by an American guy. Spoke with him at Rhodes, he got a lift there with Jack Black's dad and then joined the route from Rhodes, I'm not sure how far his plans took him. Sounded like he'd done Tour Divide and was a free rider, tourer kinda guy living life out there on his bicycle.

thanks, that explains the no helmet and no maps, wouldn't like to drag that rig through Stettyns

I used a Shimano MT44 trail type shoe. Was excellent. Most days rode with a sealskinz knee lengths socks, or when warmer just a short thermal sock. I did a couple reccie rides with "normal" mtb carbon shoes and it was a mess...

Note the Croc on the back for nightime Support Station use - probably the only time a Croc should ever be worn....ever

post-1509-0-55026000-1404392900_thumb.jpg

For perspective. I used el cheapo Olympic MTB shoes this year, the cheapest ones you get at Sportmans Warehouse. Worked better than expected, I'm used to walking with them so that helped, even up Lehana's they were fine. I don;t recommend this though, its not ideal, try Shimano MT71, most people use them. It does appear they have been discontinued. Salomon and others make a almost running shoe type cleated shoe. The Salomon's broke apart in our group after 3 days but there are other options. For interest sake, the Dreyers also use normal MTB shoes.

Re multiple pairs. Many people take extra shoes but not necessary. Use wet shoes with dry Sealskinz at night or if dry you can walk everywhere with normal nice thick wooly winter socks.

Anyone using 5fingers for portages/evenings? was quite the plan a few years back.

My shoes were stuffed after the race, but had had them a few years already. I took a pair of stokies in my pack...bit of a luxury that was used every night.

http://images.woolworthsstatic.co.za/Classic-Stokie-Slippers-6008000478649.jpg?o=R5JZCUdGDrUj8ZeJ@1ch0$ymSMIj&V=l@rn&w=301

The other option is just to use pedal cages, not my preference but has it's advantages (bit more diplomatic than my earlier comment on them).

thanks, that explains the no helmet and no maps, wouldn't like to drag that rig through Stettyns

+1

wonder if he's blogging...they often are!

Besides a great pic of Hanno finishing, what I like about this pic are the people in the background there to welcome him in.

From left to right. Di (finisher 2014 and before), Steve (Di's other half and 2014 and multiple finisher, the man at the Epic with the clanging coffee pot), Marnitz (2nd place 2014 and 6x finisher) and last but certainly not least, Meryl - the race office (and absolutely everything that means). I am sure there are others not in the photo, but such is the pride of the finishers in every other finisher, that some of them have been hanging around there for days to welcome the others in.

Stu Brew is on his way to finish this afternoon, he may be last, but perhaps he gets the best welcome from his fellow riders. Goosebump stuff.

10458353_10152613417740628_6165576930337468233_n.jpgaaaaand just as one journey endsanother begins

10462523_1450926971823936_8489994825222218185_n.jpg

Eric Tollner RASA2013 is riding to knysna for the marathon. he's got a bit unlucky with the weather.https://www.facebook...allenge?fref=tsHe's doing a portage of meneer proportions, the bushmans trail from greyton to mcgregor(wiff CN persmission nogal)

Interesting to see Hanno is wearing dive gloves.

I wore neoprene sailing gloves and the warmest ones seen were my riding partners ice climbing mitts

RASA 2014: Stu Brew sweeps the field. Congrats mate.

(as per previous pic see the smiles of Glenn on crutch, Marnitz and Steve shaking his hand).

Just to say to the guys considering the Freedom Challenge 2015 - to stand there and let it sink in what you have done is quite special and worth every ounce of energy spent. There are no loud hailers, music or pretty girls to take your bike - there is nothing to detract from what you have achieved. Its a humbling and serene finish, certainly a moment which will live with you for the rest of your life.

post-1509-0-42456200-1404397564_thumb.jpg

RASA 2014: Stu Brew sweeps the field. Congrats mate.

(as per previous pic see the smiles of Glenn on crutch, Marnitz and Steve shaking his hand).

Just to say to the guys considering the Freedom Challenge 2015 - to stand there and let it sink in what you have done is quite special and worth every ounce of energy spent. There are no loud hailers, music or pretty girls to take your bike - there is nothing to detract from what you have achieved. Its a humbling and serene finish, certainly a moment which will live with you for the rest of your life.

ahhh, stu's bike. who wants to guess the make?

he rode it in 2008.

previous pic you can see Meryl retweeting something - she's a machine at that too! maybe next year we can use a hashtag rather.

ahhh, stu's bike. who wants to guess the make?

he rode it in 2008.

previous pic you can see Meryl retweeting something - she's a machine at that too! maybe next year we can use a hashtag rather.

cant remember something special, please remind me, but the kiwi tribal graphics are unique