Triathlon watches...what's the best and why?

Neil Davidson

Thanks for all the feedback guys! The Garmin 910xt appears to come out tops here, was very keen on the RCX3 but that concept has gone out the window.

Orbit, you've gone and thrown a spanner in the works!! That Rainmaker ticks all the boxes.... need to do some homework and smooth talk the Mrs....just like my bike she can never know the true purchase price of the watch! haha

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil, buy a Garmin Edge 510, only R5000 and I'll swap for a 910 XT. Easier to explain than R6000 odd. Seriously, my father-in-law bought one and realized not what he wanted for hiking, so I bought a watch for hiking for him. 910 brand new but I'd rather have a bike computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently gotten a TomTom multisport which seems to work well. Battery life is claimed at 10 hours but I reckon it will see me through an iron man as the battery life seems to be much longer than that.

get a 310xt with Q/release kit. Plenty of battery life, tracks 100% in the swim if you put it under your swim cap and cost a fraction of a 910xt.

Recently gotten a TomTom multisport which seems to work well. Battery life is claimed at 10 hours but I reckon it will see me through an iron man as the battery life seems to be much longer than that.

How is the battery life of the tom tom? I'm looking to get a fitness watch that I can use for mountain biking and in the gym aswell..

How is the battery life of the tom tom? I'm looking to get a fitness watch that I can use for mountain biking and in the gym aswell..

I have not used it in one continuous session (no long enough event) as yet but used it for swimming, running and cycling at different times. With the heart rate monitor during running an cycling. I have trained with it for around 8 hours in a week and the watch has been on for the week and the indicator only shows half way on the battery. not scientific by any means but it is my experience. While they claim 10 hours of continuous use while doing an event I reckon it will work for an iron man for me and I aim to take around 14 to 15 hours. (yeah I am slow on the bike sadly)

The Tom Tom fellows at the comrades marafun exbo told me about 8 hrs....I doubt any gps watch that is set at the default recording interval will last longer than 8 hrs

I've been using a fenix 2 for about 3 months, and while I'm not multisport I have used it for running and cycling. Connects problem free with bike sensors and HR, gets a gps signal in less than 15 seconds. The DCR review was pretty spot on. Ordered it from clever training with the 10% discount code he has under the review.

The Tom Tom fellows at the comrades marafun exbo told me about 8 hrs....I doubt any gps watch that is set at the default recording interval will last longer than 8 hrs

With swimming it does not use the GPS as its indoors so my findings are not scientific however I am pretty sure I will get way in excess of 8 hours with GPS tracking .... my first continuous session will be Trirock in October and will know for sure then. as mentioned with about 8 hours training (with HR monitor for running an cycling) and a week that the watch is on battery indicator is normally around half way and then I charge it again, Never let it run down as yet.

With swimming it does not use the GPS as its indoors so my findings are not scientific however I am pretty sure I will get way in excess of 8 hours with GPS tracking .... my first continuous session will be Trirock in October and will know for sure then. as mentioned with about 8 hours training (with HR monitor for running an cycling) and a week that the watch is on battery indicator is normally around half way and then I charge it again, Never let it run down as yet.

Just saying what Tomtom dudes told me. Also my wiff has got the Nike+ which is basically the same thing as Tomtom...it vrekked at 7hrs 56, dead, gone, moertoe AND we charged it fully right up untill before the start.

I have both Garmin 910XT and Suunto Ambit 2. Both work perfectly, through swim, cycle and run. Garmin has added advantage of splits for transition times. Ambit 2 can be worn as a daily watch as well

Suunto Ambit 2 all the way... I love mine.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/04/suunto-ambit2-review.html

Get the 2 if your are going to do Ironman, 2S if you are only doing shorter stuff (up to 9hrs).

If you are set on a Garmin, the 910xt is nearly 3 years old and rumours are that a new model will be out soon, so I would hold out for the new model (or get the 910xt when the new model is released and prices for the 910 drop)

Just received a Polar V800 for my birthday. Its a huge jump up from anything polar has had before. And downloading is painless and battery lasts about a week with about 7-8hours of training. It also gives lots of post workout info. Btw a lot of Rainmakers issues with the watch has been addressed already on the latest software upgrades. And as a watch it does not look half bad either.

Just saying what Tomtom dudes told me. Also my wiff has got the Nike+ which is basically the same thing as Tomtom...it vrekked at 7hrs 56, dead, gone, moertoe AND we charged it fully right up untill before the start.

Interesting this...my tomtom has now been 10 days on a charge and in that time I have swum 4 hours, cycled 2 hours, run 2 hours and uploaded each event after completion via blue tooth. HR monitor is on for running an cycling and for a while after that. So far the battery indicates as being at half charge... Maybe I just am to slow to make it run down faster...but I will certainly exceed 8 hours training time no problem.