Entry Level Shoes

Fisan

So the girlfriend is finally ready to go clipless! :clap: Now she's looking for her first pair of cycling shoes. We are both currently-studying students, and seeing that most cycling shoes cost more than the median South African salary, we're hoping on some advice (brand, price, where to buy) for entry level shoes? (And no, Maxed does not count...)

Why is clipless such a big thing?

What type of riding does she do most often?

(but if you have to then Olympic OLY - best bang for buck - and most LBS will have them about R600)

Try Hi-Tec Figaro on decent flat pedals (not beartraps) Figaro's about R500 - R700.

(but if you have to then Olympic OLY - best bang for buck - and most LBS will have them about R600)

Try Hi-Tec Figaro on decent flat pedals (not beartraps) Figaro's about R500 - R700.

Looks interesting, what's the rubber like on those?

They are Vibram soles - very grippy - and shows no signs of being chewed by the pins on the pedal after many months of use. TekkieTown sells them at R500 at the moment.

Won't a nice set of flats be a better \ cheaper solution - my wife tried clipless but never was comfortable - now she rides with 5.10s and Saints, same as me, and she is loving the extra grip

Edited by in10sive

She's doing MTB - mixture of tracks and trails. She basically started from scratch so we had to wait a while before going the clipless route

Will have a look at those shoes

Won't a nice set of flats be a better \ cheaper solution - my wife tried clipless but never was comfortable - now she rides with 5.10s and Saints, same as me, and she is loving the extra grip

Maybe, but there's just something about navigating over rocks and stuff with your feet bolted to the pedals. Oh and the guys in their lab coats talking about efficiencies and so on

Maybe, but there's just something about navigating over rocks and stuff with your feet bolted to the pedals. Oh and the guys in their lab coats talking about efficiencies and so on

ever seen a happy guy in a lab coat, put them in flats - might not be as efficient but is more fun imo - but lets not start a clipless vs flats thread.....again :ph34r:

btw @porqui those Hi-Tec Figaro looks great, hows the grip

Edited by in10sive

The entry level Olympic ones you get at Sportmans Warehouse works fine. I have had my for 2 years and have done 1000's of kilos on them & they have taken a lot of bashing and they are still going strong

I've gone for the bottom of the range Garneau shoes and they've lasted me incredibly well. Have walked many a mile in them, they've never split or broken and the cleats have never pulled out.

Bought a pair for my wife for her first shoes and have bought myself another pair. First pair lasted 6 yrs of abuse. Still usable too.

Are you needing shoes too? Depending on your size I have a set of Olympics (size 9) that I bought cause I thought my pair of Shimano's were stolen (ride mainly flats now anyway)

Not actively selling them, but if you need a pair, let me know

With 5 10s I think you need to cross out the cheaper part of your equation

With 5 10s I think you need to cross out the cheaper part of your equation

Yes, but now she doesn't NEED to buy 2 pairs of shoes. 1 for riding the bike and 1 after :whistling:

Yes, but now she doesn't NEED to buy 2 pairs of shoes. 1 for riding the bike and 1 after :whistling:

I am coveting a pair of 5 10s for general use.... just trying to justify the need in my mind!