DH World Cup #4 - Leogang

Stretch

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I heard a fog horn. Thought it was signaling a DQ or something.

So DH 101 - is this open to anybody to go and try qualify whether you're pro or not.

Wasn't there a DH World Cup in PMB earlier this year already? Is this not an annual event. There's no age categories ?

It is open to anyone who wants to ride, but only the fastest 80 men and 30 women make the finals.

and no - that was a vuvuzela. I remember how it sounds when you pick one up for the first time!

Sorry if this has been dealt with before - I am just getting to grips with a thread that got WAY out of control last night obviously. hahaha.

Sorry Mayhem you are TOTALLY wrong - Its NOT open to ANYONE ...

To be eligible to race a world cup event (XC or DH) you need to have accrued 30 (I think?) (To be honest i cant remember the exact number) UCI accredited points from you r local or international events. remember any national event or african champs or international event is registered with the UCI so may hold points - If you gain these points in your catergory then you are eligible to enter.

HOWEVER!!! ....

IF (like me) you are a ballie (30+) ... you would need to enter in the Elite Category to be eligiable for points as only ELites and Juniors are considered. - (thats where the Masters Worlds comes in for the ballies - you can only race Masters if you have NO UCI points to your name.) ....

SO - for HayleyEarth, Tim Bentley, Johann Pottie, Stefan Garliki, SAm Bull, Tiaan Odendaal to have been eligible to enter this event they have had to go to ALL the nationals here in SA and also the Africa Champs and accrue the points to be allowed to enter the event.

SO - BIG UP to them as it takes PROPER dedication to go to all the events to get those points in the Elite or Junior Cats before you can race a World Cup

i think they agree with you

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpf1/10474937_1418882695060561_576553958_n.jpg

Luckily - 4 out of 5 dont bat for the other team - ... but AFAIK - the remaining 4 are all taken by DH'ers who will wipe the floor with all of us

hahaha cool Mayhem ... Ya there are a bit of bloopers on here but its cool -

The thing with Greg is as follows - He and Rob Roskops wife and some of the other lads have started a jewelry company and now a clothing company - so Greg had to get to some fancy schmacy opening that conflicted with the world cup. hahahah - so he got a chopper to Munich Airport and a flight from there to London.

Rough being a celeb. hahaha

For one (and my Missus who also races DH agrees) ... i think its cool that the DH chicks are starting to try and look like chicks again ... For years they were all just girls who batted for the other team - but now there is a new crop of girls coming in who are proper girls who are absolute stunners.

You can still have your hair down after the event etc (even if it is sweaty) ...

Its cool to see - and hopefully it opens MTB and DH up to a new younger generation who arent heald back by the stereotypes that we saw in the past.

oh and then something SCARY to think about - Gwin (no mattter whether you like him or not) Finished 76th yesterday out of 80 (and a couple of others who were protected - so say 84) riders ....

So he came lets say - 8th to last with no back tyre ...

HOWEVER - to put this into perspective -

ONLY 1 SAFFER QUALIFIED for the top 80 - so hypothetically - Gwin was faster than all of the SA riders (Barring Tim Bentley) WITH NO TYRE! ....

I would like to see the times - but he still beat like 8 guys in the top 80!!

So that run with NO tyre - would have smoked Me, and you and you and you and anyone else on here with a clean run!! ... and thats F..ing scary!! ... PROPS for that! hahaha

Its cool to see - and hopefully it opens MTB and DH up to a new younger generation who arent heald back by the stereotypes that we saw in the past.

As Greg says.. Dh is a goldmine waiting to happen as it is accessible to cycling types and non cycling types alike.... I think it's slowly happening. The old argument about if dh should be an Olympic sport or not comes back to the fore.... can you imagine what it would do for the sport of it was

Nige... forget the boyfriends ... All 5 of THOSE will wipe the floor with all of us!

No - I have beaten 4 out of 5 - but over the 4 years i have been in charge of the world cup - I am always around the same time as the top girls ... so I take from that that I ride like a girl and should just drink wine rather! hahaha.

As Greg says.. Dh is a goldmine waiting to happen as it is accessible to cycling types and non cycling types alike.... I think it's slowly happening. The old argument about if dh should be an Olympic sport or not comes back to the fore.... can you imagine what it would do for the sport of it was

Hell NO ... even Greg says - if DH goes Olympic it will KILL the discipline. Think of the logistics ... Its too much of an issue ...

If DBN was to hold the Olympics they would have to use PMB (100km away) and its not the best track even in my own right as we dont have the elevation ... then - think of the other venues we have had for olymics - London = Fort Bill (like 600km away) ..... China ... (who knows) ..... Greece (you need to go to the alps) ... Sydney = Carins .....

So the new ones -

Next is Rio = ???

Then Tokyo = ???

So for XCO thats easy but for DH - to produce a world level DH - is F-ing hard .... so is just not worth it

I would have loved to be there. But I would have taken the chicken lines all the way down.

Unfortunately/fortunately there was no chicken lines accept on the big wooden launch jumps (like the last jump). So instead of taking the launch and clearing the gap and table, one just jumps the table.

There was NO 'splits' / no A and B lines.

Has a clip been posted on the tireless run?????,I think 99% of us wouldn't get that time fully equipped

@nigelhicks is DH really dangerous? Had a DH bike for 3 months, had a bad fall and then my perants say DH is to dangerous and the medical aid doesn't cover dangerous sports. I am 20 but stay in the house while studying and I really want to do DH but I don't know what to do... Any advice?

that bernard Kerr DQ got quite interesting, if only because afterward, the tape was apparently moved further back...

http://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/p720x720/10431461_10152486470860119_8056106565256531394_n.jpg