can't see the point. The 150mm std already exists.

Hubs just need the flanges to be further apart not have a wider rear triangle.

Cannondale got around wheel strength in their new F-Si 29 without resorting to a new std.

Don't thik I'm going to buy into a another proprietry rear hub. Front hubs don;t have much bearings issues but rear hubs deliver lots of problems. I think this is an own goal.

Edited by GoLefty!!

They say the 150 is actually 158 and resulted in an adjustment to the Q-something or other.

The 148 plus won't be proprietary but open to the whole industry.

Still sounds like a gimmick to me.

They say the 150 is actually 158 and resulted in an adjustment to the Q-something or other.

The 148 plus won't be proprietary but open to the whole industry.

Still sounds like a gimmick to me.

150mm is 150mm it's 1mm more on either side than 148mm

They probably mean that the resultant outer width of the dropouts is 158mm

So using the same dropout thickness 148mm would result in 156mm.

Still 1mm difference on each side

So using the same dropout thickness 148mm would result in 156mm.

Still 1mm difference on each side

Yeah. And as I said before - quite easy to put a bit more of a flare in the triangle to get around the q factor / axle width conundrum.

Guest KingPrawn

This reminds me of when Giant got clever and introduced their Overdrive headset size then followed it up with Overdrive 2.

I think with all their marketing hype they started to believe they were innovative in that all other manufacturers would follow suit, when in actual fact they havent.

I wont be in any hurry to buy a bike like a Giant again because of this, its more a pain in the backside because you cant just go shopping and buy another fork for your Giant if you wanted, the steerer tubes are their own proprietary size. Yes you can get adapters and what not, but its a hassle.

This reminds me of when Giant got clever and introduced their Overdrive headset size then followed it up with Overdrive 2.

I think with all their marketing hype they started to believe they were innovative in that all other manufacturers would follow suit, when in actual fact they havent.

I wont be in any hurry to buy a bike like a Giant again because of this, its more a pain in the backside because you cant just go shopping and buy another fork for your Giant if you wanted, the steerer tubes are their own proprietary size. Yes you can get adapters and what not, but its a hassle.

You just have to get a new top cup, that's what I did with mine, headtube is standard.

More difficult selling the OD2 fork.

Exactly, I was really keen on the new Fuel Ex after they announced the Re:aktiv. Thankfully they do not seem to have included this stupid "innovation' in these new 650b bikes. there may be hope for Trek yet,.

150mm is 150mm it's 1mm more on either side than 148mm

Just quoting the article:

"The answer, according to SRAM, is that 150mm hubs actually measure 157mm."

Just quoting the article:

"The answer, according to SRAM, is that 150mm hubs actually measure 157mm."

There are 157mm hubs but there are also 150mm hubs (came before).

Basically same situation as 135mm and 142mm hubs. 7mm difference in size of the endcaps

I have 2 150mm hubs in my garage.

Edited by Flowta

There are 157mm hubs but there are also 150mm hubs (came before).

Basically same situation as 135mm and 142mm hubs. 7mm difference in size of the endcaps

I have 2 150mm hubs in my garage.

doesn't change the fact that there is a 150mm standard whic was the point you were making. A 157mm clearly does not conform to the 150mm standard and is likely proprietry to a few brands.

Also doesn't change the opinion that a 148mm standard is just silly when a 150mm standard already exists. In truth, 148mm is a Trek internal standard they make available to everyone because they know no one else will adopt it.

Who is going to make these hubs? pretty much locked into in house Trek brands