Photographers and Camera Geeks

Pantani

Cool, the options I mentioned earlier should still work for you if you aren't happy with the 75-300, and within budget.

L series stuff would just be overkill for you right now. That sigma 17-70 has had some rave reviews and the stuff i've seen has been sharp.

I've used the canon 17-85 which is in the same bracket, also a beaut lens for the price and has IS (Image stabilizer)

A beaut lense for messing around you might like, the plastic fantastic.

It's a Canon 50mm, costs a grand and is a fave amongst many.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness gracious me!!! I will have to sell Zipps like smarties to buy some of these lenses! Shocked

LOL

As an art, passion, hobby or profession.... Cycling and Photography are very similar. danger dassie2008-03-07 05:54:32

The Sigma 17-70 is a awsome lense but to short for cycling.The Canon 70-300 is usm is a very good lens.so this combo is all you will need.

What camera are you buying and at what price.i am asking because there are some bargains about at the moment with the Canon 30D used and thats a very good camera for sports and action with 6 fps shooting.

Don't waste your money on this.

Take a look at the Canon 17-85 or Sigma 17-70

Shocked

I have agreed to buy a camera with this lens in the deal... So I sort of have to take it. But the price is good' date=' suppose I could sell this lens and buy something else?

[/quote']

And what about this puppy? Would mean that I could throw away both my lenses, the 18mm - 55mm and the 75mm - 300mm.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0502/Sigma/18-200mm-001.jpg

Pantani2008-03-12 00:36:41

Pantani, these "extreme zooms" are not the bees knees. You lose quality at either end of the zoom. IF you want the Sigma 18-200 then go for the stabilised version. There is also a Tamron 18-250 which gets very get reviews. The thing that I think is more important then the amount of zoom is the F number. The lower the better. And if it is low through out the zoom range the better. That is why the Canon 70-200 F2.8 is so expensive.

And what about this puppy? Would mean that I could throw away both my lenses' date=' the 18mm - 55mm and the 75mm - 300mm.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0502/Sigma/18-200mm-001.jpg

[/quote']

This is actually a really good lens - I recently bought the version with silent motor and optical stabilisation and have been very pleased with e overall quality at both ends of the range.

A great carry round lens and good enough for all but the most demanding stuff.

There is a worse lens' date=' the sigma 75-300 .... Don't waste your money on this.

Take a look at the Canon 17-85 or Sigma 17-70

Some hate Canon's 28-135, but I know of one two people who are happy with theirs. 
[/quote']

Hi DD - what's wrong with the Canon/Sigma 75-300mms?

I'm looking for reasonable lens for wildlife pics. and it seemed either of these were the right way to go.  What would be better without breaking the bank?

People must first determine what they want to do with their cameras before they buy. If you are "just want a camera for the family and now and again go to the races" camera, the get a ultra zoom compact. Otherwise if you rally want a SLR get the right lenses. I don't believe you will ever get "the" shot with the all purpose lenses. It's for holiday snaps and nothing more. For portraits, get a prime, for sport get a fast lens, for architecture, get a shift lens.

On lenses I think now we both know too much, including that we don't know much, & much as I'm still perversely tempted by your kind offer, it aint gonna fly.

As your emoticon eloquently signifies, the earlier post of "wait for a gullible customer" kinda kills it.

On lenses I think now we both know too much' date=' including that we don't know much, & much as I'm still perversely tempted by your kind offer, it aint gonna fly.

As your emoticon eloquently signifies, the earlier post of "wait for a gullible customer" kinda kills it.

[/quote']

Joe you cut me deep, "playa hating" like that! Cry

I would never pull you pants down over this lens, why you have to go dig up all posts dog?

So Mampara, according to your F theory the Sigma lens is slightly better than my "Uber Canon"? Yes...

So Mampara' date=' according to your F theory the Sigma lens is slightly better than my "Uber Canon"? Yes... [/quote']

If you compare a R2000 Sigma with a R2000 Canon and the Sigma has a lower F, yes.

If you go for Sigma, look for the APO range. The glass is better.