Triathlon Coaching

jonnow

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I head up Exercise Solutions based in Bryanston with weekly group session's, great team atmosphere and support at all major races, and we have top sports physiologists/Bio's and Dieticians that work under our banner to help assist athletes. All programs are personalised based on experience and time availability etc, more of a scientific approach as apposed to just training. Pop me an email if you keen to set up a meeting samantha@exercisesolutions.co.za. We are the JHB affiliate to My Training Day as well. All depends on what area you are in and what you are looking at. :)

• 6 months later...

For the last year or so I took it easy after my son was born but I am now ready to get back into the Tri scene. In the past (like I said earlier in this thread) I used raynardtissink.co.za. The communications were usually done via email on excel etc, but now I see he uses Training Peaks. I have never used Training Peaks and when I go onto the site I see it’s a pay site. Has any of you who use coaches tried this approach? When I pay for the coaching, do you still need to pay for Training Peaks as well?

We use Training Peaks for all our athletes.  You do not have to use the full (paid for) version (unless you want to do your own analysis of your workouts) - your coach though should  definitely have the full version so that he (or she) can study what you have done, and make adjustments to your program.

Currently training with Tissink. Supposed to be at the track for a running session with him at 6pm but something came up. We use TrainingPeaks.

• 1 year later...

I have been given an entry for Buffalo City half next year January. I have never done any sort of multi-sport. I consider myself a fairly good swimmer and cyclist. I have some ability in running. So I reckon with the right coach and some serious training for a couple weeks I should be ready to stand on that podium! :D

Now the big question...

Who is the best coach in SA? The coach who gets the best results from his/her athletes? Not necessarily based in Johannesburg.

I have been given an entry for Buffalo City half next year January. I have never done any sort of multi-sport. I consider myself a fairly good swimmer and cyclist. I have some ability in running. So I reckon with the right coach and some serious training for a couple weeks I should be ready to stand on that podium! :D

Now the big question...

Who is the best coach in SA? The coach who gets the best results from his/her athletes? Not necessarily based in Johannesburg.

http://coachparry.com/#/about

Lindsay has some great results - but you will have to commit with a capital C

Is getting a coach worth it though?

I have just started with a swim coach but that is more towards technique and to get that sorted...

I am also doing my first 70.3 in Jan, with 2 Olympic distances behind me.

My biggest struggle is the motivation of getting up in the morning, or to train after work

Will a coach help with that, or is it better to rather get a training buddy.  Even if you just alternate by calling each other in the morning to get up...

More often than not I hit the Snooze button and then wake up when I need to jump in the shower!!!

You probably will need/should get both if you looking to podium.  Unless you willing to dish out some serious cash not sure you will get a coach that will be with you for every training session you do.  Majority of your training you will do on your own.  Thats where training partners come n handy. You  will have to build self discipline, probably the hardest part of a triathletes training.  You will also have to start making a few sacrifices in personal/social commitments.  If you just looking to compete not so much but if you really want to take it serious look forward to going to bed around 8pm and waking at 4am. Training at least 9 times a week and eating clean.

Doing all this alone will take great discipline.  Definitely possible but is it really enjoyable?  

Archived