How many kg have you dropped since cycling?

I started cycling again last year for the first time since I was in high school 20 odd years ago. It wasn't so much to lose weight per se but rather as a means of exercise where I could get into that meditative zone and forget about the rat race for a bit. I wasn't feeling all that great physically and often suffered from intense heartburn and basic lethargy.

So, in Aug of last year I bought my mtb and have really been loving it. I am 189cm and weighed 96kg when I started. In the beginning it was obviously tough but by Dec I had dropped to 85kg and currently I am 80kg where I seem to be stabilising. I am definitely drinking less as well because of the dreaded fear of the early hangover ride, so that's a bonus. Heartburn virtually non-existent now and loads more energy. 16kg down and feeling great!

Keen to know whether you guys who weren't so fit when you started also find that you shed the kay-gees like there was no tomorrow?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only lost about 5 kgs through cycling exclusively.

But when i added running to my training regime, the kgs dissapeared quick.

No kgs to get excited about, but definitely better muscle tone and strength/fitness, but I also don't ride as often as I would like to. how often do you ride?

Im 1,94m tall and was 117kgs last September. Now im down to 93kgs and still losing, but at a slower rate now. The problem now is to find clothes that fit even if I were to drop a kg or two.

Guest notmyname

I started riding again in June last year after a 4 year period of stupidity. I am 1.76cm and weighed 89kg's. 1 year on and I'm Down to 81kg's but cannot seem to shed anymore no mater how much I work. Running is not an option as I have a gamy knee.

Was 108kg and now I weigh 73kg.

That's in about two years of cycling. Completed the Joberg2c this year along with the sani2c and ride all the big marathon races. Would never have been able to even dream of doing that two years ago!

Guest EdEdEd

I lost 14kgs. Then added half of that again at my new job ????

Wow, some positive stories then! Nice one, guys. And agreed on the battling to find clothes to fit. All my pants from earlier last year are like circus tents on me now.

Uni, over the past month I have ramped it up a bit to about 140km/week average. I am looking to keep that up and beyond but I've only done about 2200km and 30km climbing since I started in Aug. But yeah, once the bug bites, it seems to bite hard!

Was 108kg and now I weigh 73kg.

That's in about two years of cycling. Completed the Joberg2c this year along with the sani2c and ride all the big marathon races. Would never have been able to even dream of doing that two years ago!

Flipping well done man! Thats a huge drop, hats off to you.

Wow, some positive stories then! Nice one, guys. And agreed on the battling to find clothes to fit. All my pants from earlier last year are like circus tents on me now.

I think it also goes beyond just weight loss, but the overall feel good factor regardless of how strong or weak you felt whilst cycling is quite difficult to match.

I think it also goes beyond just weight loss, but the overall feel good factor regardless of how strong or weak you felt whilst cycling is quite difficult to match.

100% agreed!

I find that these days I'm probably "that guy" who keeps going on about it to my non-cycling mates but that feeling of being out there early on the trails is just too good not to share. It makes me feel like a kid again. I've managed to lasso one of 'em into the mix so far. My mission continues...

Have always been skinny - now on 62 kg and always feel I need some more weight!

I was there once upon a time, 67kgs....then was introduced to weight training and protein shakes....guess i was built for cycling, then the "get big" phase hit me :wacko:. Should have just stayed at 67kgs. would have a much more exciting time climbing

Archived